Application Costs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elephino

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering, how much typically is spent on the application process? I know it is different for everyone, but how about generally, i.e. how much is the MCAT, how much is the AMCAS application fee, how much does it cost to send AMCAS to each school, and how and what exactly are secondaries? Does every school send you a secondary? These are typically due like later by January right? So at least that cost can be delayed.

Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

I spent over $3000.00 dollars. Only 1 interview. No flying was required. And 1 year later, I am still not admitted to a single US school.

Applied to more than 20 med schools.

I applied this past application cycle, and this is how much things cost at that time. Prices may have gone up, I don't know.

MCAT: $180
AMCAS: $150 for first school, $30 for each additional school
Secondaries: anywhere from $0-$100...the deadlines may not be until january, but it is in your best interest to turn them in way before that, like in august or september.
Don't forget travel to interviews which is going to cost you if you have to fly and stay in a hotel.

I applied to six schools, and interviewed at four, and I spent around $1500....relatively low compared to others. I cut down costs by driving when I could and staying with friends, family, or student hosts when I could. Applying to med school is a very expensive and time consuming process. Take the time to research schools carefully, and only apply to schools that you would go to if accepted. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
My guesstimate on what i have spent is about..... ummm... I would say a Bajillion dollars. It is freaking expensive!!!

Does every school to whick you apply send you a secondary, or is this a weed out step?

Check out this SDNer's site to see which schools have a pre-secondary screening:
mysite.verizon.net/res21aye/sdn/

Some weed out, others send them to everybody.

Consider this: There are many upper end schools that regularly get 6000 applicants for 150 spots.

At $100 per secondary, that's $600,000 in applicant revenue every year. Fully $525,000 of this will have come from people who do not get past the secondary stage.

A TON of money is spent in this process. A TON.

Judd