Application cycle and Covid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mdcsmitty

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys just wondering if anybody has heard anything about schools and the upcoming application cycle i know it doesnt open for a month but wasnt sure if any schools had mentioned augmenting the cycle due to covid. Im a nurse in cali so im still working but all non essential stuff is shut down. I guess the first part of the cycle could theoretically be okay because it is all internet based but i know schools in my area have already augmented the current students year so im not sure if something is coming down the line for us soon to be applicants. Just curious?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not involved in admissions but at my hospital all of the administrative offices are operational with the staff working from home.

Reactions: 1 user
other than MCAT and in-person interview everything else can be done remotely. With most ECs suspended, those who already took MCAT actually may be able to submit applications early for next cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
other than MCAT and in-person interview everything else can be done remotely. With most ECs suspended, those who already took MCAT actually may be able to submit applications early for next cycle.
Yup -- the only real issues right now are whether they are going to make any accommodation for applicants planning to take the MCAT on any of the cancelled dates between now and whenever they resume, and whether or not to start online interviews until in-person ones resume, to do the whole cycle online, or to push back interviews until they can all be conducted in person. So far, no other aspect of the application cycle would require modification due to the crisis (i.e., adcoms can still meet remotely, applications, LORs, transcripts, etc. can be filed, etc.)

It is too soon for anyone to have these answers yet, since things are still changing day-to-day. In fact, the only global MCATs cancelled so far are 3/24 and 4/4, although the impact is likely to be greater as time passes, so stay tuned.

Last edited:
Dude, you got hoodwinked. Someone was planning on this starting. I have no personal knowledge of this, but I have some idea of how this would go down. A few people with some authority wanted this and were pushing this through behind closed doors. It might have been prematurely released online, but some folks had 100% intention to do this exactly as it was posed, otherwise they wouldn’t have created salary numbers and a curriculum and job postings. This wasn’t a prelim concept that was just being kicked around. This was a program ready for the green light. Potentially prior to getting the official green light, someone with IT access posted it before the chair was able to announce it on his or her terms. Once your chair says this is good for the department and everyone needs to be a team player, it’s going to happen. Instead of being presented by the chair to the department, it got prematurely posted online and seen for what it is (instead of what the chair or whomever wanted it to be).

You’re seeing the world through rose colored glasses.

I suspect that even the interview will be moved over video if need be.

I suspect that even the interview will be moved over video if need be.
Yes, they are already doing this with the remaining interviews this cycle. The question will be whether they do that for some, but not all, interviews next cycle, since an in-person interview is far preferable (which is why they haven't been sparing interviewees the time and expense of making the trip all along).

They have no choice now because they have to finish the cycle NOW, but, for the next cycle, they could either decide to do online for everyone, push things back until they can do in-person for everyone, or start online and then switch to in-person once it is safe to do so. Too early to know, since I am sure they are focusing on just getting through this cycle now.

Yes, they are already doing this with the remaining interviews this cycle. The question will be whether they do that for some, but not all, interviews next cycle, since an in-person interview is far preferable (which is why they haven't been sparing interviewees the time and expense of making the trip all along).

They have no choice now because they have to finish the cycle NOW, but, for the next cycle, they could either decide to do online for everyone, push things back until they can do in-person, or start online and then switch to in-person once it is safe to do so. Too early to know, since I am sure they are focusing on just getting through this cycle now.

I think for logistics and organization purposes I don’t think they'll be transitioning from one interview style to another unless its due to an emergency (sudden outbreak in the area). This would honestly be too uncertain and place too much strain on applicants/admissions offices. But you're right, only time will tell.