Application cycle...importance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studentdoc111

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied on June 1st and filled out all my secondary in the following months, however I was unsatisfied with my prior MCAT score of 28 (11PS 9VR 8BS)...so I retook the test in late September and got a 33 (10PS 9VR 14BS). The VR might be a point or two lower than I wanted, however I am now satisfied

I believe I have a good GPA (3.9) and extra curriculars.

After calling many of the schools, it seemed that most withheld their evaluation of my application until after the 2nd score came out, which was in October. I've had one interview in September, but it seems most schools are waiting.

So how bad will this hurt me? I feel like I have improved my score, but I am super late in the application cycle.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

With an excellent GPA and strong MCAT score, provided you applied to enough schools with a good range of selectivity (safeties, target zone, as well as reaches), you still have a decent chance of snagging an exceptance, but becoming "complete" this late does put you at a disadvantage as many interview spots have already been handed out. Be patient though, as you are in a much stronger position with the new score. Your application is doubtless at the bottom of a pile. But they'll get to it eventually. Meanwhile, continue pertinent activities for the sake of update letters and interview conversations.

I applied on June 1st and filled out all my secondary in the following months, however I was unsatisfied with my prior MCAT score of 28 (11PS 9VR 8BS)...so I retook the test in late September and got a 33 (10PS 9VR 14BS). The VR might be a point or two lower than I wanted, however I am now satisfied

I believe I have a good GPA (3.9) and extra curriculars.

After calling many of the schools, it seemed that most withheld their evaluation of my application until after the 2nd score came out, which was in October. I've had one interview in September, but it seems most schools are waiting.

So how bad will this hurt me? I feel like I have improved my score, but I am super late in the application cycle.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Did you apply to any state schools? Those are usually a safe bet, even if you are late in the cycle. FWIW, thats a great improvement in the overall MCAT score, although where it really matters (V.R) you didn't show much improvement, which could be an issue. Give us some details on your E.Cs and background- that can help gauge your chances as an applicant this late in the cycle. To give you an idea, UMich has already handed out more than 60% of its interview spots at this point in time, and is planning to reduce the number of interviews it will give out as well. So, highly ranked schools will be almost impossible to get invites at (unless you are URM)

Im a california resident, so I applied to several instate schools. I didn't apply to any "top tier" schools because of my previous score, which I regret. I applied to schools whose stats are around a 30 composite mcat, 3.6 GPA and will take out of state residents. Mainly private schools.

My EC are pretty basic for someone who just graduated from undergrad...I've volunteered in the local ER, shadowed a trauma surgeon, worked as an intern for a youth group and tutored a ESL student in molecular biology.

And yes the VR section was a let down, but for now I don't think I will retake.

Opinions are valued, thanks again.