Application fee waivers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zachdhudson

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've read that you can get fee waivers for the applications, but is it looked down upon by the schools? I'm not anywhere near that point yet, but my financial situation isn't good now and it sure won't be by the time I'm ready to apply. I'm worried that if I do it though it will bring negative attention to my application.

Members don't see this ad.

why the hell would it look negative? If your financial status is a factor in their decision, then it is ground for discrimination and you can sue them for it (unless you're international).

I guess it seems like it might draw negative attention to your application. However, I know that when the times comes I'll never be able to afford all the application fees, so I'll have little choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Will you be able to afford travel to the interviews? Think ahead and start looking into financing options now so you'll be ready when invites roll-in.

Don't worry about the fee waiver. It's there for a reason. If you qualify for assistance you should take it.

PastJast said:
why the hell would it look negative? If your financial status is a factor in their decision, then it is ground for discrimination and you can sue them for it (unless you're international).
Financial Status is not a "protected class," and thus you can't [successfully] sue anyone for discriminating based upon financial status.