PhD/PsyD Application for licensure and EPPP in California

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trialanderror

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, does anyone know if I have all my coursework done, and completed 1500 hours on internship, but will not officially have my degree conferred until my schools next graduation date, am I able to submit my application and sit for the EPPP? Like, do I need my official degree to apply for licensure, or do I just need to have completed the 1500 hours? Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Always check the website.

OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS:

• Official transcript(s) for the qualifying degree must be sent to the Board of Psychology in one of the following three ways:
    • Mailed directly from the educational institution to the Board
    • Submitted in an envelope that has been sealed and signed by the educational institution from the applicant along with the application
    • Emailed by the educational institution to [email protected].
Note: Transcript will not be approved if it does not reflect the degree conferred and date awarded.

This strikes me as a no.

There may be ways around this (e.g., register as a masters-level in states that allow this, not sure about California, and then take exam). You will have to look at the laws/rules though for this.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone, does anyone know if I have all my coursework done, and completed 1500 hours on internship, but will not officially have my degree conferred until my schools next graduation date, am I able to submit my application and sit for the EPPP? Like, do I need my official degree to apply for licensure, or do I just need to have completed the 1500 hours? Thanks!!
It depends on the state. I would suggest getting a letter from your school stating you have completed all necessary coursework etc and submit it to your board

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on the state. I would suggest getting a letter from your school stating you have completed all necessary coursework etc and submit it to your board

This is what I did (in California). My DCT wrote a letter stating all degree requirements were complete and that degree would be conferred on XX date. She also included which classes counted for the required CA coursework which helped in getting those requirements cleared. Worst case scenario you submit it and the board says that you need to wait for official transcripts.

Reactions: 1 users
This is what I did (in California). My DCT wrote a letter stating all degree requirements were complete and that degree would be conferred on XX date. She also included which classes counted for the required CA coursework which helped in getting those requirements cleared. Worst case scenario you submit it and the board says that you need to wait for official transcripts.
I did the same thing. Unfortunately my state (not California) made me wait until my degree was officially conferred

Like, do I need my official degree to apply for licensure, or do I just need to have completed the 1500 hours? Thanks!!

Yes, this also worked for me. The only difference was that I still needed to complete the "extra" CA specific coursework, but since all my degree requirements were met the CA Board approved me to take the test.

On a related note, this letter was also necessary to begin accruing post-doc hours before officially graduating. IIRC, internship ended about two months before my program's graduation date, but with the DCT letter the CA board counted those ~2 months of hours.