Application for UCs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GermanJohn

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was checking UCSF's web page this morning and saw this:
http://www.som.ucsf.edu/som/education/admission/2002procedure.asp

An excerpt from the instructions:
"THIS IS NOT A SUBSTITUTE FOR THE AMCAS APPLICATION, WHICH YOU MUST CONTINUE TO FILE. This specific application will simply allow us to begin processing your application immediately. Final admission decisions will await our receipt of verified materials from AMCAS. This initial UC application will get us all started and provide applicants with information on their status with UC schools as rapidly as possible."

Members don't see this ad.

Good info! It was nice to be able to fill out the app online instead of bustin' out the typewriter.

What's the purpose of making us fill out a second AMCAS application? Sure we don't have to type out our grades or cut and paste the personal statement, but the rest of the stuff we have to input is already included on our AMCAS copies. It would make much more senses, and be more efficient if we could just mail in our AMCAS copies, and leave this form for those that still can't finish thier AMCAS application.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm looking at the UC apps and it has one section for Extracurricular, Community, Avocational Activities and then one section for Post-secondary History including Paid Employment. What would post-secondary history include?

Good question. Not sure what the answer is b/c many activities can fall into either category. I really don't think it matters as long as the information is there. It's not like they will look at the extracurricular stuff and not look at the employment stuff. In the extracurricular section I included all stuff I did during college, even it if was employment. For the employment and post-secondary section I listed everything I have done out of college. I thought that made the most sense. Good luck.

This is actually the exact AMCAS form we used to have to type into in the 'old days'. The same vague 'post-secondary history' is there and everything. Why we just can't send in the paper app is beyond me.

Andrew

Originally posted by mdhopeful:
•For the employment and post-secondary section I listed everything I have done out of college. •

What do you mean by "done out of college"? Do you mean things you've done since graduation?

4-6 wks. Yeah, I'm a non-trad, been out for almost 4 years so it made sense to me to divide between college and post-college experiences.