application logistics...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoom-Zoom

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, keep in mind I had a super-craptacular gpa my freshman year...so low that i'm embarrassed to post it on an anonymous forum :D Every year is a bump in my overall gpa.

Basically I have two options...apply after my 5th year in college or apply a year earlier so I can matriculate right after my 5th year. I really, really want the latter, but I'm worried about a few things too:

-Will going on interviews hurt my gpa? What if I get rejected and have to re-apply with a drop in my advanced science grades?
With my current trend, I'll likely have a ~3.3 after my 4th year and a ~3.5 after my 5th. (Although it could be a 3.4 and 3.6 :luck: )

-I could potentially have a much better letter of rec from the professor whose lab I work in If I wait an extra year..seems like my responsibilities in the lab grow exponentially with time and a year extra would be a lot...would I be able to have him write an update letter if I don't get in the first time?

-I had originally planned on taking the August MCAT and waiting a year to apply (thus avoiding the late app and the april class/study juggling), but now I'll be applying during the summer o' the mcat...late.

-If I wait a year I will have a higher gpa, a year extra of several EC's, earlier applications and an overall better chance of getting into my "reach" schools...will I regret applying with a weak app if I end up going to my last-ranked school?

So, what should I do? I'm mostly concerned with the interview problem mentioned above, as odd and irrational as it sounds. Seeing some of you guys with 8 waitlists doesn't help! For those of you who were bored enough to read this far and help me ponder my situation, I thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

I think you know what your best bet is, for all the reasons you've listed above. Even with the glide year, you'll be what, only 24 or 25 years old at matriculation? Take your time. Do it right.

i'm with nape on this one. if you try to rush it, i think your application process might suffer a bit. i chose to graduate in 4 and a half years so i could bump my GPA during my fourth year (brought it from a 3.32 to a 3.54 in one year) and then applied with that and i think it helped a tremendous deal. it also helped me not be stressed out for the MCAT and take a light load while I was studying for it. then by the time i went on all my interviews (january) i was already done with school so there were no problems. slow down. take your time. there's no rush getting into this career.
-mota

Members don't see this ad :)
drmota said:
i'm with nape on this one. if you try to rush it, i think your application process might suffer a bit. i chose to graduate in 4 and a half years so i could bump my GPA during my fourth year (brought it from a 3.32 to a 3.54 in one year) and then applied with that and i think it helped a tremendous deal. it also helped me not be stressed out for the MCAT and take a light load while I was studying for it. then by the time i went on all my interviews (january) i was already done with school so there were no problems. slow down. take your time. there's no rush getting into this career.
-mota

Yeah that's kind of what I wanted to hear. The idea of waiting is a lot less stressfull. On the other hand, the idea of being in my mid 30's when I'm done with residency makes me a little sick to my stomach...and knowing that I might regret waiting a year is bothersome...but what's a year anyway. Did I mention my parents really like my great idea of applying a year earlier? That helps :laugh:

It seems like you have listed so many good points for taking an extra year to apply. I would say wait the extra year. It may be good for you.

I took the MCAT and applied after my 5th year of college and ending up taking a year off. The year has gone by so fast with the MCAT and all of the application responsibilities. I was able to stay on top of everything and was not stressed out. I am sooo ready and excited to go back to school, but I have also got to do many things that I have been putting off. I am visiting family. I took a traveling job, and I am getting to see the country. Things couldn't be better.

Take a year off. You listed so many good points. It would be much better to take your time and do it right. 24/35 is still within the avg. for applicants. Plus I think you'll end up at a school you'll enjoy more and you'll have the confidence of knowing you gave it your all.

Status
Not open for further replies.