Application on HOLD, what to do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kemc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received three messages from diff program that they have put a hold on my application, i guess better than getting rejection. Two of the programs i really like. My Q is should i send an email to the PD or Program Coord expressing my interest in their program or should i just wait for interview or for a rejection ??? If one recomends that i should send an email then how should i approach them stating my interest in their program / reminding them. I don't want to give them the impression that i am desperate. Any ideas ??

Members don't see this ad.

I think the first thing you need to do is figure out what the "hold" status means. Have you gotten any interviews yet? If so, then disregard what I'm about to say, but if not then the fact the several schools have told you this seems to imply that there may be technical problem with your application. Maybe it's incomplete. Maybe your check to ERAS bounced, maybe your PS is all jumbled up and they can't read it-- I have no idea, but the point is you should clarify things on your end, then start calling PDs if you don't have an explanation.

I think the first thing you need to do is figure out what the "hold" status means. Have you gotten any interviews yet? If so, then disregard what I'm about to say, but if not then the fact the several schools have told you this seems to imply that there may be technical problem with your application. Maybe it's incomplete. Maybe your check to ERAS bounced, maybe your PS is all jumbled up and they can't read it-- I have no idea, but the point is you should clarify things on your end, then start calling PDs if you don't have an explanation.

I meant to say that hold is not b/c there is somthing wrong with my application. i have gotten about 8 interviews, some rejections and few received notifications.... I think the hold is beause they want to further review my app for interview invitation???, now my question is; should i send PD or the prog coord any email stating that i am very interested in their program and kind of remind them that my app is on HOLD. ... how should i state this ??? i don;t want to give them the impresssion that i am desperate. Any ideas ???

I meant to say that hold is not b/c there is somthing wrong with my application. i have gotten about 8 interviews, some rejections and few received notifications.... I think the hold is beause they want to further review my app for interview invitation???, now my question is; should i send PD or the prog coord any email stating that i am very interested in their program and kind of remind them that my app is on HOLD. ... how should i state this ??? i don;t want to give them the impresssion that i am desperate. Any ideas ???

I think that you are worried about something that is out of your control.

You can always send a polite letter or e-mail restating your interest in the program, perhaps with a couple specific reasons as to why and request consideration for an interview. As long as it is polite and not pushy, it probably won't hurt. But, remember that there is always a risk that it may be perceived negatively by the residency coordinator:

"DAMN IT. We already sent kemc an e-mail about his status. Why the @#$@%! is he bothering me?!"

So, you might be damned if you do or damned if you don't.