application on hold

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jocko

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just called U. Colorado to find out what my interview status is since i hadn't heard from them yet. I was told that my application was on hold and that was why I hadn't been contacted, then she asked the program director about my application. He said I could go ahead and interview if I wanted to. What does that exactly mean? Is it a waste of my time and $$ to go to a program that placed me in their "hold" pile? I'm really interested in Colorado, but I'm wondering if it is worth the effort... any ideas?:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Jocko,
I have a similar dilemma - mine is with the University of Michigan. I have been told that I am on their wait list. I guess this is better than being outright rejected, but what if they do eventually invite me? My thinking is that if you really are considering U.Colorado, go and make it known to the program director.
On another note, how programs determine who gets interviews and who doesn't is really an enigma to me. I have received invites to MGH, UCSF, the Brigham, and Stanford, yet U.Mich has put me on their wait list. I'd like to know what their formula is?!

Thanks triathlete, I guess you're right. I'll give it a go (I have a feeling this may become a pattern!) I'm still waiting to hear from U. Mich too - I assume that I am also on their "wait-list." I left a phone message today - hopefully I will hear from them soon. (I went with my advisors' (multiple!) advice to wait until Dec 1 to make calls, but I'm beginning to regret that now!)

I called mayo today to find out why I hadn't heard from them and they said, "Oh dear - it looks like your application was placed on hold back in october because they were waiting for something to come in - and they haven't looked at it since. I'll ask the director to look at it again" I'm not sure what that means - but it can't be great.

I think the whole thing is odd. I got invites from cleveland clinics, u. cincinnati, UNC, U Wash, OHSU, Penn St, U Wisc, UVA and other smaller ones. So far my only reject was duke - and frankly i didn't intend to interview there anyway! I don't know what the story is and why i'm good enough for some of those, but not colorado!

I guess I should be happy for what I have! It's just that colorado, mich and mayo were three of about 5 places I really felt strongly about. As for the rest, well let's hope they surprise me!

Members don't see this ad :)
Jocko - looks like we have applied to similar places. I am also interviewing at UWisc, UVA, UColo, and UNC. You should count your blessings about not being invited to Duke. Their program is undergoing a change in leadership right now. Plus, it's DOOK! I have heard great things about UNC, and it's in a much nicer part of North Carolina than Duke.
Anyway, maybe I will see you on the interview trail.

triathlete - nice! maybe I will see you around - but we'll probably never know!