Application Photos?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jjmack

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

A lot of applications require passport style photos. I was wondering can I use a color photocopy of one or do I need to send a real photo to each? If it's the later that can get expensive.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Just send in a real one, it's only a few bucks.

I used my digital camera and then print them on glossy paper whenever I need one. You can go to most drugstores (CVS) and get passport ones for less than $10 for a sheet of 8 I think.

Don't photocopy them. That just wouldn't look good. Remember not all schools require photos.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can also get one taken at AAA if you are a member for pretty cheap, then just go to Target and scanit and print a sheet of 9 for about $6 on photo paper

i use color copies for all that crap. i don't think the schools care at all. in other circumstances where i have needed these types of pictures, no one has cared about photocopy on normal paper vs. photocopy on glossy photo paper. why not save yourself a buck or two. just make sure you use as high quality a copier as you can find.

Why the he!! do they need to see what I look like!? Why is this even part of the application criteria? Do they have a quota of attractive vs. unattractive people that they need to keep?

Originally posted by thewzdoc
Why the he!! do they need to see what I look like!? Why is this even part of the application criteria? Do they have a quota of attractive vs. unattractive people that they need to keep?

You would think, but then I would imagine there to be more hotties then, but there aren't. They DO look for a PROFESSIONAL demeanor. As much as I hate saying it, LOOKS ARE IMPORTANT.

If you go in looking for all the world like a punk, don't you think the interviewer won't be unjustly influenced?

I don't know about you, but when I look through those "yearbooks" for medstudents, at least for the guys, they almost all look like clones.

The very conservative look, almost all wearing glasses, receeding hairline and high foreheard.. lol

From what I understand, the photo on the app is simply to identify us at the interview and to verify that we are the same person who took the mcat, interviewed, and arrived at med school.

I don't think we need to go all out with these pics, do we? Meaning, I don't think we need to sport a suit or anything, correct?

I sent in photo copies made by my inkjet printer. I agree that it is for identification puropses. I also think that they don't want see a mohawk either. Then again.....I wonder if you had a Mr. T. Haircut with a 3.9 GPA and a 40+ MCAT.....would you get an interview????? MMmmmmmmmmmmm..... I wonder.

How about a 38 on the MCAT and a 4.0? hehehe....

Well, I know that at Princeton for undergrad admissions, the picture comes for identification purpose only. I don't think people get selected based upon their looks. What I did was sit through the walmart photo session for $7 bucks, and you get tons of pictures.

"haha"......"hehehehe".....right

Originally posted by PrincetonRocks

Well, I know that at Princeton for undergrad admissions, the picture comes for identification purpose only. I don't think people get selected based upon their looks.

I wonder if you are flammable...:smuggrin:

Well, I know that at Princeton for undergrad admissions, the picture comes for identification purpose only. I don't think people get selected based upon their looks. What I did was sit through the walmart photo session for $7 bucks, and you get tons of pictures.

Don't listen to anything she says...

It's been scientifically proven that looks do matter to the admissions commitee.

Think of this scenario:

Admission commitee sits down and must choose between two candidates. Both candidates are equal in grades, in ec's, in mcat but it all comes down to that picture.

The myopic guy with a bad haircut and a pocket protector or the blonde who looks like the next thing he is about to say is 'Dude'. Obviously they'll choose the myopic guy because they perceive he'll be more successful as a doctor. :D

Can those stats actually be achieved by a human being?

I got a passport picture to use on my applications and it looks so bad. The white background washes out my face, so I almost look albino! :laugh: I sure hope they don't reject people based on looks.

dear lord, this post should have been prefaced with a vomit alert... now i have to go clean my keyboard.

Originally posted by thewzdoc

Hmm, ya gotta wonder about that sometimes. Maybe it's for morale.

Originally posted by No Egrets
dear lord, this post should have been prefaced with a vomit alert... now i have to go clean my keyboard.

RE: PR's quote, I don't remember any of that stuff from when I applied.

Originally posted by peterockduke
I wonder if you are flammable...:smuggrin:

I second the motion. Does anyone know if Costco or Sam's Club gives a discount on flamethrowers purchased in bulk?