Application Process Necessary or Too Painful?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Is the application process reasonable?

• Yes, the set expections are realistic and reasonable.

Votes: 10 13.9%
  • No, the cost of the process is not reasonable.

Votes: 32 44.4%
  • No, the time the process takes (application, interviews) is not reasonable.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • No, schools not giving equal consideration to all applications due to time is not reasonable.

Votes: 9 12.5%
  • No, some other reason (please post).

Votes: 3 4.2%

• Total voters

NickRiviera

MS-Never
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen hints as this in other threads so I'm wondering what everyone's thoughts are. Do you feel the application process is necessary or has some glaring faults?

1) I received a couple letters for pre-interview holds stating that I am a favorable candidate but they may not have time to interview me. I was a couple months ahead of the deadlines as well.

2) I have a very well paying job and am out of school. As you all know, the process is financially draining and very difficult to manage time-wise while working full-time. I can imagine it would be even more difficult to manage while in school.

So, overall is the process good within realistic expectations? Or, are schools too overwhelmed with applicants? Are schools just waiting for better applicants and taking financial donations (application fee) from those they put on hold? Is it too much to ask for someone to spend thousands of dollars over a few months? Is it too much to expect for someone to take significant time-off to attend interviews and second looks? (I realize the applicant decides how many schools they apply to)

Members don't see this ad.

Its a necessary evil. Granted, the application fees calls into question some of the practices of schools- especially those that will reject you immediately after your secondary fee is submitted. Personally I think that it would make more sense if every school had a "free secondary" that is, one that has one or two questions about why you're applying to the school or something similar that isn't covered by AMCAS, and then like UNC for example, they'll send you a full secondary (i wouldn't even care if it cost a little bit more) if they decide you will have a good shot at receiving an interview.

In the end though- with the "taking time off to interview" etc..etc., this falls on the shoulders of the applicants. You have to weigh how many schools you should realistically apply to, how many you should turn down to interview at, etc..etc.. These financial burdens don't fall on the shoulders of medical schools. What does fall on their shoulders is how they manage their secondary fees and how they go about reviewing you after they cashed your check. If they already have a preconceived notion that you will be rejected and only waiting upon your check to clear- then I say theres a problem there. If they review the application AFTER they deposit your app fees, then the story might change.

The medical school applications process sucks donkey balls. But I'll play along, because I won't be happy doing anything else. Ya got me.

Members don't see this ad :)
B and C
Rolling admissions is logistically necessary for many schools, and applicants know going in that an earlier application is preferred.

There's a lot that could be improed (the fact that it takes an entire year is frustrating, application fees seem a little ridiculous). I think one smart sounding proposal is to set a maximum number of schools one could apply to on AMCAS, which would cut down on the sheer volume of applications schools receive.

all should publicly post screening statistics. this way you arent applying to a school where your application will never be seen by a human. for example if a school has a cutoff for 9 in bio than they should post that no need in applying with an 8. that would cut out a lot of unneccasary applications.

I personally think it should be rolling interviews, but not rolling admissions. I feel like there's a reason why top schools like Harvard and Penn interview throughout the season, but make decisions at once--they want to select the best candidates.

Getting to the interview stage weeds out so many applicants that it seems fair that once you get there, you should have an equal shot.

I personally think it should be rolling interviews, but not rolling admissions. I feel like there's a reason why top schools like Harvard and Penn interview throughout the season, but make decisions at once--they want to select the best candidates.

Getting to the interview stage weeds out so many applicants that it seems fair that once you get there, you should have an equal shot.

I think it says something to the applicants and about the types of applicants a school wants to accept. I'll use UMich as an example. They're one of the quickest, most aggresive in accepting and getting in touch with applicants. It definitely attracts people who enjoy promptness and at least the appearance of attention and respect to the applicant.

The rolling process also gives preference to people who bother to have their **** together by September, which demonstrate that they take medical school seriously and plan accordingly. Perhaps thats the kind of applicant they prefer.

All in all, the schools have done this so many times that they know how many applicants and what types of applicants apply when, so they plan accordingly and I'm sure pretty well to allow for the savant procrastinators among us. Medical school application is definitely not the first process to reward early birds...

all should publicly post screening statistics. this way you arent applying to a school where your application will never be seen by a human. for example if a school has a cutoff for 9 in bio than they should post that no need in applying with an 8. that would cut out a lot of unnecessary applications.

This is a good thought. I've seen many posts saying a school will not send a secondary unless you are above X GPA and YaYbYc MCAT score. Maybe each school in the AMCAS should show their numbers and you have to check a box if you are under those numbers. The box would be a statement like "Without outstanding personal circumstances, this school will not send you a secondary application." So unless you cured cancer, you know ahead of time that you're donating your application fee to the school.

If it has to take so long, then I would appreciate it if more schools were as transparent about where they are in the process as UMich is. UMich had a counter on their website showing the number of interviews given, # remaining, acceptances offered, etc. Although they never gave me the time of day, I did appreciate being able to watch the available # of interviews drop and realize that odds were not good that I'd have a shot there. At least this way, I can plan accordingly...

If it has to take so long, then I would appreciate it if more schools were as transparent about where they are in the process as UMich is. UMich had a counter on their website showing the number of interviews given, # remaining, acceptances offered, etc. Although they never gave me the time of day, I did appreciate being able to watch the available # of interviews drop and realize that odds were not good that I'd have a shot there. At least this way, I can plan accordingly...

This is something else I've seen tons of posts on. Is X school still interviewing? Is Y school interviewing for waitlist now?

Maybe AMCAS could coordinate this data by getting weekly updates from the school. The school could log into the AMCAS site and enter the number of spots they have, how many spots are left, how many students are on the waitlist, etc. They could also have percentages showing how many applicants get accepted (like 2%) how many get interviews (like 25%) and how many interviewees get accepted (like 25%).

I think that at the end of it all, the people that get in are well qualified, and will be able to make it through the difficult coursework. On the other hand, that is not to say that everyone that do NOT get in are not qualified. Unfortunately, it's an issue of not having enough time to interview, and not having enough spots in the class...