Application process - please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MMa23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am confused or not well informed in the application process...

I just took my MCAT (9/6/12), and I have applied to 4 schools already. I submitted my application to AMCAS in early august and have not heard word from them.

My question is, are the schools waiting to see my MCAT scores before they send me a secondary or reject me?

When I sign into AMCAS it says: "Submitted to AMCAS - Ready for Review " on the left under status.

Am I good to just wait or is there something I need to be doing?

Members don't see this ad.

Wait.. you just took your MCAT and you're only applying to 4 schools? Or you've only been able to complete that many secondaries?

I would be addding 20+ schools at this time of year.

Most schools won't send you anything until you are verified by amcas, which will take 4 to 6 weeks for you. Some schools automatically send out secondaries, even to those who haven't received their mcat scores. Many schools screen before sending a secondary and will wait for your mcat score (check MSAR - google it). If your status is "Ready for Review", then you don't have to do anything but wait a bit over a month for it to be verified.

Aside from patiently waiting, it would be a good idea to check the 2012-2013 school-specific threads and pre-write the secondaries for schools to which you applied to. This way, once you get your mcat score back and hopefully a secondary invite, you can return it the same day and be marked complete.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know it would maximize my chances of acceptance to a school if I applied to 20+. I wanted to stay in state (michigan).

Michigan has 5:

Wayne
MSU
Central
Oakland
Ann Arbor

You should add Ohio schools at least, and there are a lot of midwestern schools you should consider. Because when you apply this late, your odds are a lot worse and you should apply to at least 10.

Yeah I did Wayne, Oakland, State and Central. I don't think I would even be considered at Michigan. I don't think I will get a 35+ mcat