Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Application Process... Very Late

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by bwonger06, Dec 11, 2008.

1. bwonger06

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hi Guys,

I am currently a junior finance major. I am done with everything except my physics progression (i will not be able to start the progression until senior year) for premed prereqs.

After fall of my senior year, i will have all but one class finished up for my degree. That said in spring of my senior year (my last semester), should i take my last finance and physics class, some filler class like dancing (something where i will be guaranteed an A even if i sleep during the class) and audit one or two science classes to prepare me for the MCAT. Or should i skip auditing the classes and with the extra time study on my own for the MCAT/take a Kaplan course. I would be looking at a Late April/May MCAT.

2. GoSpursGo

GoSpursGo Allons-y!
    Administrator Physician 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I'd use that time to take a Kaplan class or study on your own. You really don't need anything beyond Intro Bio, Intro Chem, O Chem, and Intro Physics to be successful on the MCAT, so auditing higher-level science courses would be mostly a waste of time; you might get to touch on some topics in greater detail than in the intro classes, but there would be a vanishingly small amount of that in-depth information that might actually be useful on the exam compared to what you already knew from the intro classes.

3. talkalot24

talkalot24 Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    My opinion is that it depends on what classes you've already taken. If you haven't taken genetics, biochem, physiology, and a few others, then I would audit them.

You certainly don't have to ... you can learn most of what you need from review books, but it is helpful, IMO.

4. LossForWords

LossForWords PGY-1
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I agree that auditing is pretty low-yield. They may cover some stuff you'd see on the MCAT, but it will probably be in detail beyond what you need. Just get a good review book or take a Kaplan class that will target exactly what you need to know.

5. ar2388

ar2388 rads resident
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    agreed that auditing probably isnt the best idea. i did not take extra bio classes at all beyond the year of intro bio and i did fine on the mcat. i took a kaplan class and really worked hard withtheir online material which i think is excellent.

6. BuffGold

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think auditing actually sounds like a decent thing to do if you are going to have so much free time. It certainly won't replace a prep course, or studying on your own, but it could be a nice supplement to that, and a good change of pace. If I were you, I would consider doing an informal audit (ie, just show up and blend in). Get your hands on a syllabus and show up for the classes that cover your weak points.

7. bwonger06

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thanks guys,

One more question. If I were to take the MCAT before senior year, when should i take it some so i can know my score before applying? I do not want to start the application process to then find out i bombed the MCAT and waste a lot of time.

I only have three classes (2 finance classes and a supply chain) this coming semester plus my ochem II lab which i delayed because i did not want to take it when i took ochem II, so i have a lot of extra time and i might think about studying on my own without taking physics.

8. littlealex

littlealex little tiny alex
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Auditing classes would give you too much information in too narrow of a focus. MCAT focuses more on very basic knowledge of a number of fields.
    Instead of auditing, it would be much better to self-study. Just remember that it is very important for you to actually put in the time to study. Study the MCAT material as diligently as you would for a test and don't put it off to the last minute.