Application Process... Very Late

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bwonger06

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am currently a junior finance major. I am done with everything except my physics progression (i will not be able to start the progression until senior year) for premed prereqs.

After fall of my senior year, i will have all but one class finished up for my degree. That said in spring of my senior year (my last semester), should i take my last finance and physics class, some filler class like dancing (something where i will be guaranteed an A even if i sleep during the class) and audit one or two science classes to prepare me for the MCAT. Or should i skip auditing the classes and with the extra time study on my own for the MCAT/take a Kaplan course. I would be looking at a Late April/May MCAT.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd use that time to take a Kaplan class or study on your own. You really don't need anything beyond Intro Bio, Intro Chem, O Chem, and Intro Physics to be successful on the MCAT, so auditing higher-level science courses would be mostly a waste of time; you might get to touch on some topics in greater detail than in the intro classes, but there would be a vanishingly small amount of that in-depth information that might actually be useful on the exam compared to what you already knew from the intro classes.

My opinion is that it depends on what classes you've already taken. If you haven't taken genetics, biochem, physiology, and a few others, then I would audit them.

You certainly don't have to ... you can learn most of what you need from review books, but it is helpful, IMO.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd use that time to take a Kaplan class or study on your own. You really don't need anything beyond Intro Bio, Intro Chem, O Chem, and Intro Physics to be successful on the MCAT, so auditing higher-level science courses would be mostly a waste of time; you might get to touch on some topics in greater detail than in the intro classes, but there would be a vanishingly small amount of that in-depth information that might actually be useful on the exam compared to what you already knew from the intro classes.

I agree that auditing is pretty low-yield. They may cover some stuff you'd see on the MCAT, but it will probably be in detail beyond what you need. Just get a good review book or take a Kaplan class that will target exactly what you need to know.

agreed that auditing probably isnt the best idea. i did not take extra bio classes at all beyond the year of intro bio and i did fine on the mcat. i took a kaplan class and really worked hard withtheir online material which i think is excellent.

I think auditing actually sounds like a decent thing to do if you are going to have so much free time. It certainly won't replace a prep course, or studying on your own, but it could be a nice supplement to that, and a good change of pace. If I were you, I would consider doing an informal audit (ie, just show up and blend in). Get your hands on a syllabus and show up for the classes that cover your weak points.

Thanks guys,

One more question. If I were to take the MCAT before senior year, when should i take it some so i can know my score before applying? I do not want to start the application process to then find out i bombed the MCAT and waste a lot of time.

I only have three classes (2 finance classes and a supply chain) this coming semester plus my ochem II lab which i delayed because i did not want to take it when i took ochem II, so i have a lot of extra time and i might think about studying on my own without taking physics.

Auditing classes would give you too much information in too narrow of a focus. MCAT focuses more on very basic knowledge of a number of fields.
Instead of auditing, it would be much better to self-study. Just remember that it is very important for you to actually put in the time to study. Study the MCAT material as diligently as you would for a test and don't put it off to the last minute.