Application process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThNeal

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I just needed some advice on how to apply to podiatry school. So I graduate this spring (may19) and I want to apply to begin podiatry in fall 2018. Do those applications open August? I still need to take the MCAT.

- when should I take the MCAT with sufficient time to study for it after I graduate

-when should I apply to strengthen my chances

- any other advice would be great!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Apps open in August. Apply as soon as you can to maximize chances of acceptance. Take the MCAT when you are ready!

Reactions: 3 users
Hello everyone,

I just needed some advice on how to apply to podiatry school. So I graduate this spring (may19) and I want to apply to begin podiatry in fall 2018. Do those applications open August? I still need to take the MCAT.

- when should I take the MCAT with sufficient time to study for it after I graduate

-when should I apply to strengthen my chances

- any other advice would be great!

Smurfey has it down. But to expand.

- MCAT time will work differently. I could not go longer than 3 months of full on prep time. Any longer and I got lazy. I preferred 3 months full on prep time (including days that you won't study due to vacations/work/whatever).
- Apply soon as the app opens. The sooner the better. You get the stress of applications out of the way as well as first pick when it comes to interview dates.
- Shadow and get a rec letter. Punching in your courses to AACPMAS + verification will take the longest. For me personal statement took longer than both of those. Knock out as much as you can.
- If you're bad at interviews, see if your school has practice interviews you can sign up for. I did not reach my forte until the 3rd interview. Preparing better and getting used to be nervous would've helped a lot for my first 2 interviews.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
All good advice in here. I think 2-3 months of MCAT prep is ideal. For your consideration, a solid timeline would be to spend the rest of May celebrating/relaxing after you graduate, start MCAT prep in June, and take the exam in late July or August. Good luck next cycle! :D

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone!
Quick question regarding personal statements.
When you guys were writing yours, did you abide to the recommended 4500 character limit?
My PS is at 7000 characters and it's been shared around with my friends. We agreed that the most I can cut is like 500 characters without losing the message/my presence(story) in the personal statement.

Hi everyone!
Quick question regarding personal statements.
When you guys were writing yours, did you abide to the recommended 4500 character limit?
My PS is at 7000 characters and it's been shared around with my friends. We agreed that the most I can cut is like 500 characters without losing the message/my presence(story) in the personal statement.

I went at least 1000 over.

My PS was very raw and blunt and its how I usually write anyways but cutting it down was hard.

I tried to cut down everything I thought was already reiterated in my resume. Only kept what I knew they wouldn't be able to get from that wasn't already on AACPMAS.

Hope that helps.

Smurfey has it down. But to expand.

- MCAT time will work differently. I could not go longer than 3 months of full on prep time. Any longer and I got lazy. I preferred 3 months full on prep time (including days that you won't study due to vacations/work/whatever).
- Apply soon as the app opens. The sooner the better. You get the stress of applications out of the way as well as first pick when it comes to interview dates.
- Shadow and get a rec letter. Punching in your courses to AACPMAS + verification will take the longest. For me personal statement took longer than both of those. Knock out as much as you can.
- If you're bad at interviews, see if your school has practice interviews you can sign up for. I did not reach my forte until the 3rd interview. Preparing better and getting used to be nervous would've helped a lot for my first 2 interviews.

What can I do before the apps open?
Can you give me a brief timeline ? I only ask cause you gave me a really solid response! Thank you so much!

What can I do before the apps open?
Can you give me a brief timeline ? I only ask cause you gave me a really solid response! Thank you so much!

No prob. Sorry for getting back so late.

Signed up for June 20th MCAT. Studied from May up until June. Was working and taking summer class at the same time.

Took it Jan 20th so I was already reviewing material and getting my study habits down.

Try to be in library by 10am. Do 1 hour blocks 10-12pm. Eat lunch, go through and learn the questions I got wrong until 1:30-2pm. Bike home, break 3-5pm. Study again from 5-8pm. Workout and call it a night.

I was lucky to secure a summer work study so I was doing practice problems the whole time during work. Grad courses were 6-10pm once a week so that was a lucky break too.

Still had time to take the odd beach trip here and there with the SO and get my app ready for the cycle opening August as well as shadowing.

I admit I could've done much better on the MCAT if I had more time and went even harder, but I felt work/life balance was a bit more important. This will trigger some people but just being honest. Was at a 493 so knew I had a shot at some interviews. Last was a 496 so knew I was safe from cutoffs.