uclabruin1

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I had some questions and I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I am planning to apply to medical school this year, but I was also thinking about going abroad in the summer. I would be gone during the month of July, and I was wondering if that would be a problem for applications? I know I can put my primary applications in during June, and then what about the secondaries? and if I come back in August and do secondaries, will I be putting myself at a disadvantage putting applications in later than other since it is rolling admission? and if so how much worse is it? Thanks for your help anyone.

tinkerbelle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2003
Neverland
Status
Attending Physician
Well, some (if not most) secondary applications will be online... so you can still fill them out while you are abroad. However, if you don't have access to a computer, you're not at a huge disadvantage by waiting until August. Because committe letters/LORs take forever, a lot of us aren't officially complete until sometime in August anyways. So don't worry too much :) I wasn't complete until the end of august and i still got a bunch of early interviews. You might also want to take a look at some of last year's secondary questions (which a whole bunch of us posted last summer) to get an idea of what the questions will be like since some school repeat questions.

Good luck :luck:

lulubean

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
take off and enjoy yourself! just be ready to work REALLY hard in august to get all those secondaries out.

my one word of advice, however, is to make sure you have all your letters of rec ready to be sent out BEFORE you leave. chasing people down to get those in can be major time suckage.