Application question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Corpsman Up

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know some of these questions have been answered, but I was hoping to get a little more instruction on how the application process works. I will be applying next cycle and will take the MCAT in May 2011, and finish pre-reqs first week of June.

1) I can submit primaries without an MCAT right? Just not secondaries?

2) I will need to update schools with my spring quarter grades (which dont come out until the first or second week of June and I dont want to hold up my application waiting on them). Will schools wait to view my app until they receive my Spring grades since thats when I will finish my last pre-reqs?

3) How do I update schools of my GPA? Do I send an official transcript to AMCAS (which will take up to 8 weeks, so they wont be there until like August) and just send an email updating the schools of my new GPA, or do I have to send transcripts to all schools individually?

Thanks for any input!

Members don't see this ad.

I know some of these questions have been answered, but I was hoping to get a little more instruction on how the application process works. I will be applying next cycle and will take the MCAT in May 2011, and finish pre-reqs first week of June.

1) I can submit primaries without an MCAT right? Just not secondaries?

2) I will need to update schools with my spring quarter grades (which dont come out until the first or second week of June and I dont want to hold up my application waiting on them). Will schools wait to view my app until they receive my Spring grades since thats when I will finish my last pre-reqs?

3) How do I update schools of my GPA? Do I send an official transcript to AMCAS (which will take up to 8 weeks, so they wont be there until like August) and just send an email updating the schools of my new GPA, or do I have to send transcripts to all schools individually?

Thanks for any input!

1) You can submit both primaries and secondaries even without the MCAT score. Most schools won't even look at your app until the scores are in. However, having everything in before that point is still beneficial because they look at your app as soon as the scores come in.

2) I don't think you have to send in your spring grades. With traditional applicants, many schools have to make decisions based on an incomplete record. I think it is probably better to wait until your grades are in though. Give them a complete picture. Plus, while it's great to have your app turned in day one in early June, waiting for your grades to come out will still mean an early app. You can submit your primary application, and then send transcripts as soon as they have your grades on them.

3) You do have to send an official transcript to AMCAS. Not a 100 percent sure on updates, but I think you only have to send them an email or letter to update, not an actual transcript. They will see an official transcript before you matriculate, so they probably believe you are not lying to them.

As a side-note, it takes 8 weeks to send a transcript? You can't expedite it in any way. That's odd.

1) You can submit both primaries and secondaries even without the MCAT score. Most schools won't even look at your app until the scores are in. However, having everything in before that point is still beneficial because they look at your app as soon as the scores come in.

2) I don't think you have to send in your spring grades. With traditional applicants, many schools have to make decisions based on an incomplete record. I think it is probably better to wait until your grades are in though. Give them a complete picture. Plus, while it's great to have your app turned in day one in early June, waiting for your grades to come out will still mean an early app. You can submit your primary application, and then send transcripts as soon as they have your grades on them.

3) You do have to send an official transcript to AMCAS. Not a 100 percent sure on updates, but I think you only have to send them an email or letter to update, not an actual transcript. They will see an official transcript before you matriculate, so they probably believe you are not lying to them.

As a side-note, it takes 8 weeks to send a transcript? You can't expedite it in any way. That's odd.

Thanks for all the input. I think my plan will be to submit my primaries with a transcript that does not include spring grades, submit transcript request as soon as spring quarter ends, and if everything goes well, I will be submitting secondaries at the same time my MCAT and new transcript gets to AMCAS

Are there any schools that wont give a secondary without an MCAT? I know they are all about making money, so I thought they sent them to everyone that applied (but am not 100% sure on that)