Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Application Red Flags... What to answer?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by 67192, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Hey guys, just wondering what interviewers mean when they ask if you have any "red flags" on your application. When asked this Q, I just replied, "no." But, walking out I realized that I do have a "hardship withdrawl" on my application from a quarter that I was in a bad car accident and had to have surgery. And this wasn't explained anywhere on my application, so I'm wondering if this would have been a proper response to the "red flag" question.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. MrDreamWeaver

MrDreamWeaver Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Isn't a reg flag normally a bad thing? Ie: DUI

4. In general, when asked about red flags or other obvious defects, answer simply, directly, and honestly. No long-winded explanations, and if they want more details make them ask for it.

5. Overlap12

Overlap12 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Those all would have been excellent and appropriate red flag question responses. I saw my transferring from UCLA to my current school after my freshman year as a red flag and talked about that, as well as my seemingly average grades (I work 3 jobs to support myself so sometimes, studying has to take a back seat though I've never gotten lower than a B-).

I really think "red flag" means "anything you would like a chance to explain so we really know everything about you and your application". My transferring wasn't a bad thing at all (it was the best decision I've made yet!) but I could see the committee talking over my application and saying "why did she transfer?". I wanted to give my side of the story so they wouldn't have to imagine up reasons.

If you get a chance to interview again, make sure you address these things so that way, you get a chance to get your WHOLE story out and on the table for discussion.

Good luck! And don't worry, just because you didn't talk about these things in your first interview, it doesn't mean you won't get in! :)

6. Okay, thanks!

7. Non-TradTulsa

Non-TradTulsa Senior Member - Resident
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think you did just fine. If they were concerned about your hardship withdrawl, they would have asked about that specifically - and the only answer to a specific question is the absolute truth. A totally open-ended question about unspecified "red flags" doesn't need a specific answer - just a poised one.

8. Dr. Bob Doe

Dr. Bob Doe The four yonko of medicine
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    What's your gpa? If you don't mind me asking that it.

9. lmn

lmn
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You bumped a 9 year old thread, asking a question to a member that hasn't posted in 8 years, and hasn't even been on for over a year.

listener23 likes this.