Application Status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phenom_DO

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, guys so I wanted to know if I was competitive for osteopathic schools (DO). The reason why I’m strictly applying to DO school is that I had gotten the chance to speak to a few physicians and did a little research of my own to find out that this is right for me. However, I’m afraid my stats are not good enough. I’ll be applying this upcoming cycle so it would be great if people can tell me how my stats would fare. Just need some reassurance because at this minute I feel a little down. So my stats are

GPA- 3.74 (Super upward trend from 3.2 to 3.74)
sGPA- 3.54
MCAT- 508
Extracurricular:

Physical therapy aide (1 year)- Mostly help patients with exercises and adjust there exercise program when told to by authorities.
Volunteered at 2 hospitals for a whopping (150 hours)- Most boring thing in the world because I was essentially there to just sit in the front desk and answer some questions.
Volunteer at Temple: Been doing this for 8 years where I consistently go every Sunday to help out in any form. Usually, it’s helping with cooking or the simple task of becoming a driver who brings the elderly to the temple.
Honor Society- So I’m president of my honor society which has been rough but has opened doors for more service events and opportunities for other students.

Members don't see this ad.

Your stats are fine for any DO school, you could try to apply to your state/low tier MD if you wanted to (especially if you are URM). I had very similar stats (higher GPA, lower MCAT) and got interviews/acceptances at several schools. Maybe just add some shadowing a DO if you can and get a letter of rec from them.

Do you mind sharing where you were accepted to? It would give me a better idea of what schools I should look into. My dream DO school is NYITCOM because I've talked to their admissions and loved what they were selling. Also, I know many who went there and I actually have gone to the open house as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can apply to any DO school, but without saying everywhere I was accepted (lol) I received interviews invites from KCU, DMU, PCOM-GA, WVSOM, VCOM, NSUCOM. I will be attending KCU cause they were my top choice DO. I was rejected from NYITCOM pre-ii, not sure why but I wouldn't have attended the interview there after I got my KCU acceptance (I'm trying to save what money I have left)

Reactions: 1 user
I had similar-ish stats (slightly lower cgpa, higher sgpa, one point higher mcat) with slightly stronger ECs. I am ORM from California and I got two California MD interviews and several DOs (applied to DO schools late November).

Your app should get you several DO interviews as long as you don’t have any red flags.

I had similar-ish stats (slightly lower cgpa, higher sgpa, one point higher mcat) with slightly stronger ECs. I am ORM from California and I got two California MD interviews and several DOs (applied to DO schools late November).

Your app should get you several DO interviews as long as you don’t have any red flags.
Appreciate the input. I was worried that applying to DO schools in August would be too late. My ECs are weak and trying to find a job as a scribe which would be a boost in my app I believe

Hey, guys so I wanted to know if I was competitive for osteopathic schools (DO). The reason why I’m strictly applying to DO school is that I had gotten the chance to speak to a few physicians and did a little research of my own to find out that this is right for me. However, I’m afraid my stats are not good enough. I’ll be applying this upcoming cycle so it would be great if people can tell me how my stats would fare. Just need some reassurance because at this minute I feel a little down. So my stats are

GPA- 3.74 (Super upward trend from 3.2 to 3.74)
sGPA- 3.54
MCAT- 508
Extracurricular:

Physical therapy aide (1 year)- Mostly help patients with exercises and adjust there exercise program when told to by authorities.
Volunteered at 2 hospitals for a whopping (150 hours)- Most boring thing in the world because I was essentially there to just sit in the front desk and answer some questions.
Volunteer at Temple: Been doing this for 8 years where I consistently go every Sunday to help out in any form. Usually, it’s helping with cooking or the simple task of becoming a driver who brings the elderly to the temple.
Honor Society- So I’m president of my honor society which has been rough but has opened doors for more service events and opportunities for other students.
You're fine for any DO school, including mine!

Hey, guys so I wanted to know if I was competitive for osteopathic schools (DO). The reason why I’m strictly applying to DO school is that I had gotten the chance to speak to a few physicians and did a little research of my own to find out that this is right for me.

What did your research tell you that said DO is a better choice for you?

What did your research tell you that said DO is a better choice for you?
Well, I have gone to many medical school campuses and seen how things run. One of the campuses I visited was an osteopathic school which I fell in love with. Also, I wanted to go into primary care as a sports rehabilitation physician due to volunteering at a physical therapy office and enduring some of my own struggles (torn acl). DO learn a technique called OMT which imo is very resourceful and with more residency spots for DO i think it would be best for me