application timeline?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ziggyd0c

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm sure the answer for this is around somewhere but i searched and couldn't find it. basically i want to know how the application/acceptance timeline goes. if i submit my AMCAS in early june, when do i start receiving secondaries? when do i interview? and when can i expect to be informed of any acceptances?

i mostly need to know for things like my lease, moving, etc. this is also assuming that i didn't bomb my MCAT and actually get some acceptances :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

if you submit the earliest possible date (June something), you will receive secondaries late June. If you file your secondaries by first week of July (and pay online), you will probably be complete by mid July to early August. You may start getting interviews in late August to March. Some schools will notify you a month after your interview, the first possible date would be Oct 15th. Other popular dates are Nov 15, March 1stish, May 15ish (waitlists).

Assuming you get interviews and acceptances. Its an all year process for most people. GL

Very rough timeline:

1. Submit primary in early June
2. AMCAS verified in a week or so
3. Receive/fill-out secondaries from June - August

Once you get past the secondaries stage, it's very hard to predict. It depends on your stats, the schools themselves, etc. and can seem very random. You may get an interview invite in late summer, maybe another in early fall, maybe another in December. Some schools may seem like they forgot about you and then all of a sudden send you an invite in March. Some schools really will forget about you. Some schools will take your secondary fees and never contact you again. Some will make you wait months between your interview and your acceptance/waitlist/rejection. Some will send you the decision a week after your interview.

It's impossible to tell what your interview season is going to be like.

Members don't see this ad :)
haha wow... sounds awesome.

so, when do you have to reply to an acceptance? does each school have a different deadline for when you have to tell them if you want to go there or not?

haha wow... sounds awesome.

so, when do you have to reply to an acceptance? does each school have a different deadline for when you have to tell them if you want to go there or not?

Some MD schools require a refundable deposit within two weeks, others none at all. You can hold multiple acceptances until May 15th (or some arbitrary date post-April 30th for schools that start early). After that, there can only be one.

thinking way too ahead here. your mcat score is the most important thing. I'm sure you did more than fine but take it one step at a time and get those steps (mcat, primary app, secondary essays, interviews) as close to perfection as possible. it sounds toolish but I would revolve your year around med school apps rather than your apartment/job/classes/etc. mistakes in this process are way more costly and stressful.

Check out my MDApps profile for a sample timeline.

Thanks so much! I totally agree about Jeff. Loved the place and Center City! By the way, sorry about the game yesterday. Hehe, we are all still witnesses though (to Kobe).

Hahaha totally kidding. LeBron is SICK!

congrats on settling on jefferson. fine school and hope you enjoy center city. good luck!

Thanks so much! I totally agree about Jeff. Loved the place and Center City! By the way, sorry about the game yesterday. Hehe, we are all still witnesses though (to Kobe).

Hahaha totally kidding. LeBron is SICK!

Kobe.:thumbup: