Application timing question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reluctantoptimism

Shrews and Trucks
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm super pumped because after a lot of turmoil and heartache, I'm ready to apply this year!

I have some questions regarding timing- I plan to take my MCAT in August so should I submit my primary in June so I can be verified as early as possible (despite not having an MCAT score until early September)? In addition, because I'm applying only to state schools, will my late app be TOO detrimental?

Thanks guys and good luck to all of us applying this year!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, I'm super pumped because after a lot of turmoil and heartache, I'm ready to apply this year!

I have some questions regarding timing- I plan to take my MCAT in August so should I submit my primary in June so I can be verified as early as possible (despite not having an MCAT score until early September)? In addition, because I'm applying only to state schools, will my late app be TOO detrimental?

Thanks guys and good luck to all of us applying this year!

I remember you asking about PhD vs MD awhile back. Great to hear that you decided on something.

You should submit your primary as early as you can. I am not sure if schools will send you a secondary if you don't have a score yet, but some certainly won't. You can be at an extreme disadvantage for private schools if you submit that late with an app that isn't otherwise fantastic. For state schools, the damage won't be as bad, but still a detriment I think.

You can list only one school on your primary so that you can get it verified and add more schools later after you get your score. If I were you, I would wait until the following cycle to apply. If, however, you get an absolutely fantastic score and the rest of your app is great, then you could apply this cycle in September (primary in June). Is there any chance of moving your MCAT up without compromising studying?

Reactions: 1 users
I remember you asking about PhD vs MD awhile back. Great to hear that you decided on something.

You should submit your primary as early as you can. I am not sure if schools will send you a secondary if you don't have a score yet, but some certainly won't. You can be at an extreme disadvantage for private schools if you submit that late with an app that isn't otherwise fantastic. For state schools, the damage won't be as bad, but still a detriment I think.

You can list only one school on your primary so that you can get it verified and add more schools later after you get your score. If I were you, I would wait until the following cycle to apply. If, however, you get an absolutely fantastic score and the rest of your app is great, then you could apply this cycle in September (primary in June). Is there any chance of moving your MCAT up without compromising studying?

Thanks! My app will by no means stellar in terms of GPA (approx. 3.4-3.5) but I have a good variety of ECs ( hospice, shadowing, leadership, etc) and research. I would take the MCAT earlier but I'm taking a heavy load now and wont be able to start studying until May (i.e. I don't think I could take it any sooner).

You are right, it may be better to wait.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the advice above. My first time around I applied late July and wasn't "complete" until early September. Went 0/15, without a single interview invite. Second cycle, applied day one / returned secondaries within days and ended up with 11 II's. Granted - my application had improved quite a bit with the additional year, but I do think that timing played a huge role in my success (and lack thereof).

Reactions: 1 user
Move that MCAT up sooner and apply to more than just your state schools

Okay, so you have a "non-stellar" GPA, will have a late MCAT, and applying ONLY to state schools. What could go wrong with this plan? :rolleyes:

Slow down. This is not a race. Take the MCAT when you are absolutely ready to take it...maybe late this summer...maybe early next year. Do NOT turn in your application until you have your MCAT score. Do NOT apply this year. Take a gap year and use it to beef up your application. Apply next summer.

Reactions: 3 users
Okay, so you have a "non-stellar" GPA, will have a late MCAT, and applying ONLY to state schools. What could go wrong with this plan? :rolleyes:

Slow down. This is not a race. Take the MCAT when you are absolutely ready to take it...maybe late this summer...maybe early next year. Do NOT turn in your application until you have your MCAT score. Do NOT apply this year. Take a gap year and use it to beef up your application. Apply next summer.
Agree with this post.

Agree with this post.
Same here. I have seen very poor results with a late application and a low GPA (e.g. that is lower than the ~3.6 matriculant average) even with a relatively high MCAT. IMO the only people who can apply with an August MCAT are URMs with high 3.6+ GPAs and with a 90% MCAT. And you won't know what your MCAT score is until September - way too late. You are risking going o/20 with interviews and/or acceptances. Don't do it. Take a gap year. Scribe, volunteer, travel. One year isn't a killer.

Move that MCAT up sooner and apply to more than just your state schools

All depends on you're score bro. 507+ do it IMO. As for above, don't do it if u ain't ready. Sucks getting a ****ty score.

Taking the MCAT that late is an unnecessary risk. You have plenty of time to study for a May or June test date.

Okay, so I crunched some numbers and I would have a 3.45c and a 3.3s GPA upon applying. What kind of MCAT score would bode well for my application (especially considering the fact that it will be late)?

I'm only applying to FL schools, if that matters.

I'm only applying to FL schools, if that matters.
Someone with a 3.3 sGPA and no MCAT score shouldn't go into the cycle with a primary of only a few instate schools! Would you really rather re-app or not go to med school if you couldn't stay in FL?

Someone with a 3.3 sGPA and no MCAT score shouldn't go into the cycle with a primary of only a few instate schools! Would you really rather re-app or not go to med school if you couldn't stay in FL?

I understand this logic but I'm broke (i.e. limited apps and I cannot deal with OOS tuition). If my MCAT were great (no assumptions) would this bode better for my app? In addition, I have no clue how many schools I should be considering.

I understand this logic but I'm broke (i.e. limited apps and I cannot deal with OOS tuition). If my MCAT were great (no assumptions) would this bode better for my app? In addition, I have no clue how many schools I should be considering?
Have you looked into the AAMC fee assistance program? And OOS/private tuition is covered by many people with loans. High debt options are obviously not great but it's better than no admits.

Most people apply to their state schools + about 12-15 others of reasonable stats. People on the weaker side of the range often need to apply to a lot more though (like 20+) to nab a couple interviews. Applying to a handful of DO programs is the best option as long as you are OK with what going DO entails.

Yes a high MCAT would help a lot. You can look at this chart to see what odds look like per each score bin (assuming you are white).

Have you looked into the AAMC fee assistance program? And OOS/private tuition is covered by many people with loans. High debt options are obviously not great but it's better than no admits.

Most people apply to their state schools + about 12-15 others of reasonable stats. People on the weaker side of the range often need to apply to a lot more though (like 20+) to nab a couple interviews. Applying to a handful of DO programs is the best option as long as you are OK with what going DO entails.

Yes a high MCAT would help a lot. You can look at this chart to see what odds look like per each score bin (assuming you are white).

Thanks for the advice- I'm a URM, by the way.

That changes things a ton. Here's the grid. You're above coin toss odds even with a exactly average score (25/500) and with a score on the stronger side (~510) you'd have very good odds!

But I should still apply to about 20 schools, right? I just am afraid I'll rush my application and end up empty-handed at the end of this year

It will depend on the MCAT. If you can take it in May or June you could still create the right school list and apply early enough. The number (and selectivity) of schools you should apply to changes drastically between high 20s, low 30s, and mid 30s or above.