Application Updates: Please Pose Here to Update What's Happening With Your Apps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twiggers

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

My last apps will be going out tomorrow, so I thought I would start a new thread for all.

Please update us and let us know how the responses to your applications are going! (ie; interview requests, etc.)

If you get in somewhere let us know because congrats are definitely in order!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

twiggers said:
Hi all,

My last apps will be going out tomorrow, so I thought I would start a new thread for all.

Please update us and let us know how the responses to your applications are going! (ie; interview requests, etc.)

If you get in somewhere let us know because congrats are definitely in order!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi all~ I have two more applications to go...but will have an interview on the 21st (next Friday!!). On the one hand, it's very exciting, but on the other hand I am somewhat worry about the interview....as I am REALLY bad at selling myself and talk confidently about my research.....any tips on how to prepare for an interview??

There is a really good back that helped me with interviews: SUCCEEDING IN GRADUATE SCHOOL by Walfish and Hess. There is a chapter on psychology graduate school interviews... luck!

QUOTE=distancesky]Hi all~ I have two more applications to go...but will have an interview on the 21st (next Friday!!). On the one hand, it's very exciting, but on the other hand I am somewhat worry about the interview....as I am REALLY bad at selling myself and talk confidently about my research.....any tips on how to prepare for an interview??[/QUOTE]

Members don't see this ad :)
Which school are you interviewing at, Distancesky? And congratulations!

Hey...I've got my first interview next friday too!!! :D Will I see you in Athens, GA?!?

hi all,

i was wondering about interview dates for clinical phd programs - i know a lot of programs interview the last weekend in february the first two in march.... but it sounds like some of you have interviews before then. are they for clinical phd programs?

i have a work trip from feb 4th - 12th.. i'm starting to get concerned that interviews could potentially start this early. anyone have anything to say about this? - experiences w/interviews, etc etc.

thanks!

None of my schools interview that early....alot of them are late February.
I am not planning on attending any interviews...doing them by phone instead since I can't afford the airfare, much less afford to take time off of school during midterms/finals weeks.

Good luck :)

twiggers said:
None of my schools interview that early....alot of them are late February.
I am not planning on attending any interviews...doing them by phone instead since I can't afford the airfare, much less afford to take time off of school during midterms/finals weeks.

Good luck :)

thanks for all the congrats :)

Yeah....most of the interviews are held in late February. I think I have an early interview because I turned in my application pretty early (Nov). Yes, I am apply for clinical PhD program

Pireis - I guess won't see you in Athens, GA. It's a school in CA. :thumbup:

has anyone applied to, and heard from UVA (arts)? i feel like this is quite early, but several friends have heard about interviews...

only to make me a bit more anxious..!

Where in CA distance? I live out here and go to undergrad in CA, but have applied to programs all out in the midwest. I also have a friend at work who has applied to a bunch of programs out here.

Maybe we should also post which schools we have interviews at?? That way if others have applied to the same school it'll give them some idea.

i haven't been on this site for a while, because i have been completely stressed about applications! so, hi again everyone! i am also starting to worry because i haven't heard anything about interviews and folks are starting to hear back!

edieb--i saw your post and i have the book you are talking about. but, i feel like a complete idiot because i can't find the chapter on interviews in the book. could you help me out? thanks so much!

in terms of applications, i have applied all over the country--USC, UT Austin, Virgnia Commonwealth, Boston College, URI and a few others. i have heard tha people have gotten interview dates at VCU and i have heard nothing, so am just going to keep my fingers crossed and hope that i don't have to apply again next year!

sunny22

edieb said:
There is a really good back that helped me with interviews: SUCCEEDING IN GRADUATE SCHOOL by Walfish and Hess. There is a chapter on psychology graduate school interviews... luck!

sunny - i feel you! i'm starting to get a little stressed out as well. i think it'll be helpful if people post when they get interview invites - or even when interview weekends are! i have several work trips and weddings.. but its a hard to plan when who knows if and when i will get an interview!

It's relatively early for interview invites. No need to worry until February since most interview invites come in the last week of Jan and early Feb.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just was wondering if anyone has heard from these programs:
Duquesne
Rhode Island
St. Louis University
Montana

Thanks

woo hoo I'm done with my apps!!! :)
Now I can get to the mountains of school and lab work I've been ignoring.

Applied to:

UNC, Harvard, Yale, Emory, Vanderbilt, and UVA

No word yet

I've got 20 schools...so I won't even ask if anyone has heard anything from them......just keep on posting guys! I know there's people out there who've applied to the same schools :)

tamateta said:
has anyone applied to, and heard from UVA (arts)? i feel like this is quite early, but several friends have heard about interviews...

only to make me a bit more anxious..!

I had a phone interview on Fri with UVA arts... right now they are calling and making phone interviews...and soon will be inviting to formal interview weekend on Feb 11 :) Best of luck!!

Also, I have an interview weekend on Feb 4 with VCU. Don't know what is with all these early places!?

The only thing I've been hearing from schools is that my application is complete and being forwarded to the admissions committee.
I'm hoping to start hearing about interviews/rejections within the next couple weeks.
Mine are all midwest and a few east coast schools so I'll let you know what happens when it happens :)

I applied to Midwestern University (realtively new medical school based PsyD program). I have an interview on Wed. (01/19).
I also applied to Rosalind (Finch) PhD and all that I have heard is that my app. is complete and under review.
Also I applied to George Washington's PsyD and my app. is complete. So we will have to see what happens.

Hi everyone!

Thanks for all the updates everyone keeps giving. I know they will be very helpful in the upcoming weeks. I applied to 15 schools (all clinical PhD), including Emory, Madison, Chicago, SUNY-Buffalo, Syracuse, among others. I know Emory sent out an email saying that faculty would be contacting students THIS month for interviews if you are selected.

Twiggers: with regard to flat out rejections, don't expect to hear until late March or early April. They will send a letter around that time saying you weren't selected. They usually won't contact you via email or phone this soon to let you know you were rejected......

Oh wow really?
Several of my profs told me that the rejection letters come first and told me not to be discouraged by them because the acceptance letters always come last.
If that is the case then if anyone hears from any of these schools let me know:
Minnesota (child clinical dual PhD program), Urbana, Indiana Bloomington, Ohio, Loyola, Temple, UConn, Wisconsin Milwaukee, NIU, Bowling Green, Wayne State, Case Western, Michigan State, Marquette, North Dakota, South Dakota, Missouri-St. Louis

My others are for non-clinical programs so I won't worry about those.

Question:

Some places required a check to be paid for the app fee.....I still have schools from a month ago that haven't cashed the darn check. I wonder why so slow? Anyone else have this happening?

twiggers said:
Oh wow really?
Several of my profs told me that the rejection letters come first and told me not to be discouraged by them because the acceptance letters always come last.
If that is the case then if anyone hears from any of these schools let me know:
Minnesota (child clinical dual PhD program), Urbana, Indiana Bloomington, Ohio, Loyola, Temple, UConn, Wisconsin Milwaukee, NIU, Bowling Green, Wayne State, Case Western, Michigan State, Marquette, North Dakota, South Dakota, Missouri-St. Louis

My others are for non-clinical programs so I won't worry about those.

Hello. :)
No word from Case Western, Michigan State : Clinical
Wisconsin Milwaukee : Experimental

Hiya Lazy,

Looks like we applied to similar schools....although my Milwaukee is for the clinical program.

If you hear anything let me know!

I guess maybe if they knew right away that they weren't going to take you, you might get an early rejection letter. But I always heard that they go through the interviews first, and in case some interviewees don't work out, they have a "back up" list of applicants. That's the reason for the delayed rejection letters that don't come until late March.....

Regarding late check-cashing, I had the same issue with two schools. It look like a month and a half for them to cash the check!

Twiggers: I also applied to St. Louis so I'll be sure to post if I hear anything! Good luck!

hi all - FYI: i know a few people heard today from temple (not me.. boo-hoo...) and their interview weekend is the first weekend in feb... still holding out hope that i'll get an email/call sometime soon.... gluck!

Yikes that is early. Temple did tell me that they interview around 80 people, so maybe it'll take them a couple days or so to get everyone informed of interviews.

Thanks psych about St. Louis! Good luck to you as well :)

I heard from Temple (yesterday) and Maryland (today). Nothing on my others yet.

80 people for an interview?? Wow, that is so much more than the others.

i wanna hear from someone lol

good luck with the interviews!

i think temple gets over 200 apps so that isn't really that bad :) although seeing as how i don't think i made that cut then they should increase it lol j/k

Got an application complete statement from Michigan State and NIU today. Apparently MSU's interviews are done end of January/Beginning of February....so hopefully will hear stuff soon.

I HATE waiting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i second that! waiting has been the worst part. that, and several undergrads in my lab (i've been a research coordinator for a major NIH funded study for several years) have gotten interviews at places where i've also applied (and i have yet to hear about interviews..). i'm starting to think that maybe i shouldn't have hired them as RAs... kidding. sort of. :)

The silence is deafening for me as well. Twiggers, I didn't even get any of those "application complete" notices you mentioned. If I hadn't called the schools or emailed to check, I wouldn't have heard a peep from any of them... Just sent off my eighth and final packet today...Most of mine are PsyD and those tend to have later deadlines.

Good luck everyone. This thread is a great idea.

I just heard from the clinical program at Texas Tech.....their interview date is 2-11-05.

Woohooo psych!!!!! Good luck!

I'm guessing if I don't hear from Temple by the end of this week I can cross that school off of my list.

I wish some of these places would just reject early so I can know if I have to go to my backup plan or not :)

Those who have a Temple interview.....what is the interview date?

Just curious because a friend who applied to PhD programs told me that she called programs after interview dates to check on the status of her app and they told her over the phone that she was denied (she called about 1.5 months before she got the rejection letter in the mail).

My #1 program doesn't interview, and they said that they send out both acceptance/rejection letters at the same time (the end of this month)....that is really the one I've been anxiously waiting for.

Keep us updated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also a friend of mine has applied to UC San Diego.....anyone heard from them?

Temple's interview weekend is the first weekend in Feb.. So if we're going to get invites, we really should hear this week..

Tama:

If you don't mind....can you let us know which schools your RAs got invites for (if they were clinical programs)?

I think that if I have any hair left on my head by the end of this process I'll be doing OK :)

A group of us at work said that if we get denied for every single school, we're gonna go to Disneyland and celebrate being the biggest losers lol

Winnie:

I only had a coupple of schools send me the updates on my app. Several of them were via email. I'm guessing only about 6 out of 20 of them did that. I still have 3 which haven't even cashed the check yet.

I'm actually kinda worried about Temple. They cashed my check back on 12/24, but yet they never sent me back my SASE saying my app was complete. I emailed them today to see what they have to say about that.

Oh yea....I checked Temple's stats....they got 355 apps last year....so 80 invites isn't really that many considering the amount of applicants.

i spoke with temple today- around 60 invites

NoSleepThisYear said:
Interview at Vandy on Feb 7th (clinical)

Congrats and good luck!

Lily: Do you know (if they told you)....is Temple done doing their inviting? If so, then I'll definitely cross them off.

I have a big poster board at home, that lists all 20 of my schools with columns that say "reject" "interview" and "accept" I just need one checkmark in the accept column lol

twiggers said:
Congrats and good luck!

Lily: Do you know (if they told you)....is Temple done doing their inviting? If so, then I'll definitely cross them off.

I have a big poster board at home, that lists all 20 of my schools with columns that say "reject" "interview" and "accept" I just need one checkmark in the accept column lol

It sounded as though they had- when I talked to them, they said they were in the process of now talking to the students on the phone. But I didn't ask that specific question. :confused:

hi all, i actually just heard from temple a few hours ago... first via email, then a phone call to set up the actual interview time. it sounded like they were still in the process of notifying applicants.... and i was contacted by a prof with whom i want to work, so maybe some prof's are taking more time than others. so twiggers, i wouldn't cross them off your list just yet.

as for other schools friends/RAs have heard from: uga, uva, vandy, vcu.

I can't take this anymore! I obsessively check my email and still no word. The only school on that list that I applied to is VCU and I definitely haven't heard from them. But, my last recommender sent in my last letter a few on Jan 3 and I heard that VCU starting contacting folks on Jan 6! Uuugggghhhh!

I can't wait for this to be done. How are people managing the anxiety?
I keep thinking that I should try to prepare for interviews, but how do you do that if you don't know where you are going!!

tamateta said:
hi all, i actually just heard from temple a few hours ago... first via email, then a phone call to set up the actual interview time. it sounded like they were still in the process of notifying applicants.... and i was contacted by a prof with whom i want to work, so maybe some prof's are taking more time than others. so twiggers, i wouldn't cross them off your list just yet.

tamateta said:

Tamateta, who is the person you want to work with (if you don't mind writing)?

(if it makes y'all feel better, I'm going nuts right along with you!!!!! :eek: )
(hang in there everyone!!!!!)

HI all,

I'll add to the going nuts thing.

Just heard that head of psychology of UW Milwaukeke contacted me today. I was at work, but will be returning call tomorrow. Sounds like an interview call to me...yeaaa my first one!

Hello everyone! I had an interview today with Midwestern University. I felt like it went well. I actually got to sit in on a class, which I found interesting. I had the chance to meet and talk with some of the current students. They seemed to like the small class sizes and the professors and the medical school affiliation for practicums. They told me that I should hear something in 2 weeks.

pireis - i put down dr fauber (at temple) as my 2nd or 3rd choice as an advisor, and he's the one who called me. but i just realized that he is also the head of clinical admissions, so that could have been the reason - and not so much b/c i'm actually going to interview w/him. who knows..

Hey guys: i dont know if anyone else applyed to Duquesne, but i just called them and they said that they will call applicants for interviews the first week of Feb, and that those who dont make it will recieve letters in the mail. Just though i would let everyone know!

Everyone stay positive!