Application W/O Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rvelizr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much will it hurt my application if I take Step 1 in early September of the application cycle?

I am an U.S. citizen IMG but I have not completed step 1 yet. I have completed and passed step 2 ck and step 2 cs, both on first tries and did well on 2ck. I will have all my other eras components (LORs, transcripts, etc.) in the system by August.

I can rush and take step 1 in august but I want to do well on it...

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know what the usual test score turnaround time is these days but I wouldn't even bother applying without Step 1. Most programs won't review your application without it. Its the only real objective measure across schools, countries, etc.

-I dont understand. You are saying not to apply at all for 2011 for to wait for the score (3 weeks) and then submit the application.

-what would be the problem with submitting the application without the score? I thought that once the system gets your score, it automatically updates your application for residency programs to see.

How much will it hurt my application if I take Step 1 in early September of the application cycle?

I am an U.S. citizen IMG but I have not completed step 1 yet. I have completed and passed step 2 ck and step 2 cs, both on first tries and did well on 2ck. I will have all my other eras components (LORs, transcripts, etc.) in the system by August.

May I ask what specialty you intend to apply to?

And how did your school let you go up that far in MS2 and up to MS3 without taking Step 1?

You may not appear to be a credible applicant without a Step 1 score. I'm guessing you can submit your application but it will not be considered complete without your step 1. Most programs & specialties will allow some leeway for LORs to roll in. The same grace is not applied to Step 1.

You might as well be applying without a name on your app.

if theres a space on the application for you to put will take on this date, it might be ok, but most places will either turn down your application w/o step 1 score or not look at it until you have the step 1 score.

i'd say start the application process if it allows you to say i will take the test on this date expecting the score to be available by this date.

-I dont understand. You are saying not to apply at all for 2011 for to wait for the score (3 weeks) and then submit the application.

-what would be the problem with submitting the application without the score? I thought that once the system gets your score, it automatically updates your application for residency programs to see.

Keep in mind that you also need to have Step 2 (CK and CS) completed and be ECFMG certifiable (not certified) in order to participate in the Match. So you need to also get Step 2 done prior to mid-Feb (and in reality, prior to the end of December). And the majority of your USIMG colleagues will have all of this done prior to 9/1 so not even having Step 1 done puts you at a huge disadvantage.

Keep in mind that you also need to have Step 2 (CK and CS) completed and be ECFMG certifiable (not certified) in order to participate in the Match. So you need to also get Step 2 done prior to mid-Feb (and in reality, prior to the end of December). And the majority of your USIMG colleagues will have all of this done prior to 9/1 so not even having Step 1 done puts you at a huge disadvantage.

I see that you did not read my original post. That's OK. I will state it again: I have already passed step 2cs and step 2ck (99).

I only have to take step 1, which I can take in mid August but I prefer to take it in early September because I will have so much time off that I know I can ace it.

You are an IMG: as it is, you are at a baseline disadvantage. You would put yourself at an even greater disadvantage by not having a Step 1 score on your record when applying?? This would be a terribly misguided and absurd move. Your application will be placed on hold until your Step 1 score is in. The advantage to early applications is much much less than it was for getting into medical school and I'd say is negligible for most programs even worth considering. Put all your info into ERAS the moment you get a token, but apply only when you receive your Step 1 score. The majority of programs on my rank list actually waited till November 1st when MSPEs were released before granting anyone interviews. Out of curiosity, where did you go to medical school that allowed you to start rotations without Step 1? This seems so out of place for a US-IMG.

As an aside, you posted a 2-digit score of '99', and I have to tell you, I don't think ANYONE cares about that score except for your parents, non-medical people, and other IMG's. It is meaningless. Your success is dependent on the 3 digit score: a 239/99 is quite different from 261/99. With the increasing popularity of USMLEWORLD, I think scores will become even more useless, since anyone who memorizes that is bound to get at least 230.

I see that you did not read my original post. That's OK. I will state it again: I have already passed step 2cs and step 2ck (99).

I only have to take step 1, which I can take in mid August but I prefer to take it in early September because I will have so much time off that I know I can ace it.

You're right...missed that. My mistake.

It's probably still worth waiting until your score comes back.

I really thought this was an April Fool's joke

You'd be surprised but I don't think most foreign schools have a requirement for when their students should take the exam.

Many US hospitals require a student to have completed USMLE Step 1 in order to be eligible for rotations and applying for electives. Correspondingly, it is both surprising and illogical that "most" US-IMG foreign schools (i.e. most Caribbean schools), designed to place American citizens in American hospitals, have a lax attitude with respect to Step 1 and moving on to rotations. Foreign schools designed for foreign nationals obviously have no USMLE requirements because the exam is irrelevant in those countries. If you went to one of these schools, then I wouldn't be surprised at all.