1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Applications

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Raja, Aug 21, 2001.

1. Raja

Raja Member
    7+ Year Member

Here's the deal. I don't know when to apply. I just took the MCAT but I'm uncertain as to how I did and since my GPA isn't spectacular I don't know which schools I should apply to. Would it be a horrible idea to wait until I find out my MCAT and then submit my application?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

Yes, it would be a horrible idea if you have any expectations of actually getting in somewhere this year. Based on your GPA and how you expect you did on the MCAT, you should pick out some schools where you think you will be competitive, a few reach schools, and quite a few way below your GPA (in case you don't do so well on the MCAT) and APPlY ASAP!!! Then start sending paper copies of AMCAS to all the shools that are accepting them and doing the secondaries for all the schools that have them on-line. Go to: http://www.geocities.com/lvnh6791/paperamcas2002.htm
    to find out which schools these are.

4. jdub

jdub Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    raja,

not something you probably want to hear, but i would really consider waiting until next year to apply. the august mcat puts an applicant behind the eight-ball quite a bit. the logistics of rolling admission and the fact that schools won't have your completed application until the end of october make it very difficult to get accepted.

another year won't kill you, and it will give you more time to strengthen your application and retake the mcat if you need to.

if you decide to apply though, get everything in as early as possible. best of luck :D

5. beached whale

beached whale Member
    7+ Year Member

Actually, I disagree with the previous post. The delays in AMCAS processing are an advantage to applicants who took the August MCAT. As my advisor put it - the playing field is a bit leveled now. So don't let that discourage you. Now - if your MCAT comes back with awful scores (worst case senario) most schools (that screen)won't send you a secondary and you can at least save money for processing and travel in that respect. Now - unless you voided your scores - even if you take the MCAT again next year the schools will recieve your scores from this year. An improvement would be great and maybe that will get you in - but if you have a shot this year - whats the harm in trying? Could save you time and money in the end. Of course, I don't know what your exact numbers will be, but a friend of mine is going through the same thing right now. I know it's frustrating, especially with all these post with people getting interviews already, but those are the exceptions - not the rule. Hang in there.

6. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

I don't think any schools are screening this year.

7. Carleton College kid

7+ Year Member

Acutally, Stanford screens.

8. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

I stand corrected. And U. Mich appears to do some sort of screen before giving out their secure URL secondary link. And Mayo screens with phone calls! Can't think of any others.