Applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sgwu

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
When is the start of applying to Medical School and when do medical schools begin receiving applications. And one last thing when should one apply, I was talking to a friend and he told me to apply early because if you apply late chances of getting in are harder. Any help?

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest that you pick up a copy of the Medical School Admission Requirements put out by the American Association of Medical Colleges, or check out their website at aamc.org. You can find the answers to the questions you've posted by simply spending about a half hour online looking this stuff up yourself.

For medical schools that participate in AMCAS, applications will start being accepted on June 1st. Schools that don't use AMCAS set their own dates, and you'll have to look them up and see when they start accepting applications. It is advantageous to apply as early as possible, because you want your application to be viewed when most of the spots are available. If you apply later, the med school may only have about 20% of their spots open, and the competition to get a remaining spot becomes tougher. Therefore, to answer your other post, it's better to take the MCAT in April rather than August, because you'll be able to apply sooner.