applied but never sent MCAT score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Challenge

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I've been around in this forum for several years. I finally had a chance to apply osteopathic school last year but it was before the MCAT score was released. I applied med school in June of last year before I even took the MCAT. I took the Aug MCAT of last year but something went horribly wrong that I ended up getting a really bad score. REALLY BAD. I got 8 on PS but 3 on verbal.. and don't want to even talk about Bio section.
There was no way for me to get an acceptance to medical school for the entering year 2005. Everything was ready but the MCAT score. Med schools only needed my MCAT score. I got so frustruated with the result even though I put my best effort.
Anyhow I tried to forget about everything and did not send the score.

A couple of month later after the MCAT result, I went overseas and taught SAT II chemistry at the Princeton Review in Korea for a month and then I spent another month there working as a private tutor.
Basically I went to my country to enjoy, meet my old friends and to relieve all the stress from graduate school and med school preparation .
I really needed some break. Now I'm back here in the U.S. trying to make a decision as to whether I should re-apply med school or just give up and go to PA school. I'm 29 and got a master's degree in biotech 2 years ago. I don't like basic laboratory research so I don't want to go to PhD program.
I've never had a real job and back of my mind is telling me that I should get a job and settle down asap. But I don't know.. I only took MCAT once.
On a second thought, I just can't simply give up on it.

If I take the MCAT for the second time and re-apply med school again next year, would that raise a red-flag on my application based on what I've done last year not being able complete my application by failing to send the MCAT score? Please help.
I would really appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

You should give the MCAT another shot; if you really want to be a physician then you should not give up. If you can boost your science scores, and you should be able to, your verbal score might not bog you down as much since English isn’t your first language. However, a 3 is way too low so you need to really commit some time to this, do practice tests over and over and really read the explanations of what you get wrong over and over. The key to the MCAT is much more about learning how to take the test than learning the basic science. Good luck

Just buy a bunch of practice tests, lock yourself in a room and answer them from start to finish (one at a time :D ). See how you score now - maybe you're a better reader and can analyze the material easier than before. If you're still low after a couple of tests consider taking a prep course. Point is to keep at it- good luck :luck:

Challenge said:
Hello I've been around in this forum for several years. I finally had a chance to apply osteopathic school last year but it was before the MCAT score was released. I applied med school in June of last year before I even took the MCAT. I took the Aug MCAT of last year but something went horribly wrong that I ended up getting a really bad score. REALLY BAD. I got 8 on PS but 3 on verbal.. and don't want to even talk about Bio section.
There was no way for me to get an acceptance to medical school for the entering year 2005. Everything was ready but the MCAT score. Med schools only needed my MCAT score. I got so frustruated with the result even though I put my best effort.
Anyhow I tried to forget about everything and did not send the score.

A couple of month later after the MCAT result, I went overseas and taught SAT II chemistry at the Princeton Review in Korea for a month and then I spent another month there working as a private tutor.
Basically I went to my country to enjoy, meet my old friends and to relieve all the stress from graduate school and med school preparation .
I really needed some break. Now I'm back here in the U.S. trying to make a decision as to whether I should re-apply med school or just give up and go to PA school. I'm 29 and got a master's degree in biotech 2 years ago. I don't like basic laboratory research so I don't want to go to PhD program.
I've never had a real job and back of my mind is telling me that I should get a job and settle down asap. But I don't know.. I only took MCAT once.
On a second thought, I just can't simply give up on it.

If I take the MCAT for the second time and re-apply med school again next year, would that raise a red-flag on my application based on what I've done last year not being able complete my application by failing to send the MCAT score? Please help.
I would really appreciate it.

No, it won't. However, realize that your old MCAT score will be sent to any school you send the new score too. As long as you do well on the second one, it shouldn't matter.