Applied EDP to LSU - New Orleans....Now What

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blebl34

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So as the title states, I applied EDP to LSU-NO. I'm supposed to hear an decision in just 4 weeks, and haven't interviewed yet (or been invited to for that matter).

According to the news, it will be months before the building is even habitable again.

Am I going to have to apply to other schools now? Who should I contact about it?

I know my problem is minor compared to many, its just that if I do need to apply elsewhere, I want to do it as soon as possible.

What do you all think.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, you currently CAN'T apply elsewhere, so I'd relax and maybe try to make a contribution towards those who have lost EVERYTHING in a matter of hours and not fall into the "ME ME ME" pre-med trap.

Or you could formally withdraw your LSU-NO application (if that's possible) and start applying elsewhere.

Call AMCAS and ask their opinion on your situation. They may have some information and insight; perhaps even make an exception for folks in your situation. I mean, really - the EDP plan doesn't really take into account a natural disaster, does it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Call LSU and ask them about it.

ShyRem said:
Call AMCAS and ask their opinion on your situation. They may have some information and insight; perhaps even make an exception for folks in your situation. I mean, really - the EDP plan doesn't really take into account a natural disaster, does it?

I agree. They'd have fix that situation. Call them pronto cause many schools are ROLLLIIINNNNGGGG!

You people are IDIOTS! Call LSU? Who's gonna answer the phone?

Sorry, people in New Orleans have bigger things to worry about than a) answering the phone for some self-absorbed pre-med and b) med school. Get over yourselves, people. There are many many people in this world - you are only one, so therefore it does NOT revolve around you!

ms1finally said:

Sorry, people in New Orleans have bigger things to worry about than a) answering the phone for some self-absorbed pre-med and b) med school. Get over yourselves, people. There are many many people in this world - you are only one, so therefore it does NOT revolve around you!

Whoa, relax! This hurricane is a tragedy and a lot of people are helping. But everyone else is still working on applications. OP is not comparing his problem to their losses. If you can't think about anything else, why are you posting on SDN? You should be out there helping.

I'm not out there helping because I'm in medical school, so I can't really pick up my life and move 700 miles, also as an MS1 I don't have any skills that are truly needed. The most I can do is say my prayers, send my money, and hope that it will be a long time before anything like this happens again but that if it does that I will have the skills to help.

I'm not sure why someone on this thread is being a douche. The OP didn't cause the hurricane, and he isn't downplaying the seriousness what is happening down there. I think he has every right to worry about how it will affect him. I would call AAMC about getting out of the EDP restriction and apply elsewhere, because you obviously aren't going to interview in time for EDP.

Huh, interesting, 'cause even though I'm a douche, that's the advice I gave.

Wow, a lot of animosity here. I agree with willthatsall. MS1finally, I'm impressed, I can actually hear the cold tone of your voice through your written word. Nice

ms1finally said:
Huh, interesting, 'cause even though I'm a douche, that's the advice I gave.

As and admissions director I offer the following: According to AAMC update both Tulane's leadership is regrouping with the help of Jackson St and Ms St near Jackson. Jax St is helping with lodging and food for now. The administration is getting some offers from other med schools to take a few enrolled students to help them carry on. Their first priority must be to those currently enrolled and they are working that. They dont even know if they have an operable building or if any of their students died in the chaos. As for the leadership of LSU-NO, there is little information as to what is happening with them right now. Sorry applicants, there are higher priorities right now. Chill a bit and await word. I suspect that those schools will get back on board to interview/admit students for the coming year --- but it will take some time and they may start later and end later than usual.

REL said:
As for the leadership of LSU-NO, there is little information as to what is happening with them right now. QUOTE]

Wrong, LSU-NO has information on www.lsuhsc.edu/no about classes resuming in about three weeks in Baton Rouge. Interview this year will just be a bit delayed since the admin are moving to the LSU-Baton Rouge campus.

Members don't see this ad :)
marr said:
REL said:
As for the leadership of LSU-NO, there is little information as to what is happening with them right now. QUOTE]

Wrong, LSU-NO has information on www.lsuhsc.edu/no about classes resuming in about three weeks in Baton Rouge. Interview this year will just be a bit delayed since the admin are moving to the LSU-Baton Rouge campus.

Correct: As you state for LSU-NO, thankfully, but that info wasnt in the AAMC Update provided yesterday. Also it appears that Tulane is working with schools in the Houston area to take students for an as yet undetermined time.

marr said:
REL said:

lol, you do realize that REL is the admissions director (Mr?Dr? Larkin) at one of the Florida schools (FSU I think but I don't know)? Not that that makes him omniscient or even always right, I just think it's funny how you so bluntly stated "wrong."

tigress said:
marr said:
lol, you do realize that REL is the admissions director (Mr?Dr? Larkin) at one of the Florida schools (FSU I think but I don't know)? Not that that makes him omniscient or even always right, I just think it's funny how you so bluntly stated "wrong."

Thank you. I'm just trying to help out the stress factor with what the AAMC reports to us about our sister institutions to let you know. Seemed like the right thing to do to keep this stress-puppy from becoming a slasher!!!Fortunately the LSU-NO leadership were in a position to keep their web site active -- good on them.

Tigress: it's simply Mr (but I prefer REL), and I am located in one of the best areas of the country to practice clinical medicine --- the 5th most diverse large city in the US --- Tampa and USF.

ms1finally said:
Well, you currently CAN'T apply elsewhere, so I'd relax and maybe try to make a contribution towards those who have lost EVERYTHING in a matter of hours and not fall into the "ME ME ME" pre-med trap.
I bet if you were applying right now, instead of comfortably sitting in an MS1 position you would be worried about what you should do regarding an EDP app to a school that is not functioning for now. It is terrible what happened to all those people in the Gulf Port, however just because the OP is concerned about how this will affect him, that doesn't make him evil scum. His question was totally reasonable and you don't need to berate him with your holier than thou posts. Anyone that goes through the ****ty and stressful process of being pre-med and applying to medical school has a right to be, in some way, concerned about themselves in this process. I seriously doubt you are a selfless saint so please stop pointing fingers and calling the OP selfish just because he had a question about his app.

LSUMC New Orleans has moved admin to LSU Baton Rouge. Visit www.lsu.edu to see link.

LSUMCNO @ LSU
225-578-1547
112 LSU Systems Bldg
BR, LA 70808

i called and they said to hold off on sending in 2ndary applications, etc until further notice

hope that helps

HOOTMAN

Thanks for the replies...well most of you at least

Seems like know one really knows whats going on yet

AAMC says I can't add schools until they here from LSU. bleh

Hey y'all,
First, I would like to give my condolences to anyone that has suffered a lose in hurricane...I am a fourth year medical student and have lost all of my possessions except for two suitcases of clothes, but consider myself very lucky as all my family, friends and classmates are safe..
Now for some good news for everyone applying to LSU New Orleans. Dr. McCluggage, Head of Admissions, has been working hard along side other school officials to get things up and running as soon as possible.
The admissions department is asking that all applicants be patient as plans are being made and put in place. Please continue to monitor the LSUHSC website for new information. Also, you can call LSU Health Sciences center and they will also be able to give you the latest information.
I want to emphasize that LSU WILL be interviewing for the Class of 2010. The class will be similar in size to the first year's class this year--around 180, LSU's largest class size ever.
I would strongly encourage everyone to look at LSU's program. I have really enjoyed my experience...well, as good as can be expected for medical school. Please do not write off this program because of our current situation. Our faculty and students is what makes us LSU and what makes us great---not our buildings. I promise that we will rebuild and will be stronger than before.
If you have any questions, please feel free to pm me. Good luck to everyone with applications.

REL said:
tigress said:
Thank you. I'm just trying to help out the stress factor with what the AAMC reports to us about our sister institutions to let you know. Seemed like the right thing to do to keep this stress-puppy from becoming a slasher!!!Fortunately the LSU-NO leadership were in a position to keep their web site active -- good on them.

Tigress: it's simply Mr (but I prefer REL), and I am located in one of the best areas of the country to practice clinical medicine --- the 5th most diverse large city in the US --- Tampa and USF.

USF's Mr. Larkin and Miami's Dr. Hinkley are the bestest!!!!!!! :D :D

But seriously, Mr. Larkin, you are really really great and I'm so glad that you are around here to help the students.

ms1finally said:

I'm in the same boat as the OP. However, I live in New Orleans, I lost everything I own (or atleast I'm assuming.) If you don't think I understand what these people are going through...YOU are the IDIOT. Oh, and by the way, I spoke w/ LSUHSC...and they answered the phone.

EDP isn't my highest priority...and its not what's always on my mind. I have friends that I haven't heard from in a week, and I don't know if they're out. So before you start preaching about something you have no idea about...shut up.

ms1finally said:

Just because you are depressed about having no friends, blah blah blah doesn't mean that you should lash out on poor posters in the PRE-ALLO FORUM. If you don't want to hear about the issues of pre-medical students, you don't have to read them. This was not an unreasonable question.