Applied for Australia 2004?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know a bit more, having interviewed. There are more people interviewing for the international spots at USyd than usual. I'm sure my 3:2 was way off. It was a number I heard somewhere a while ago, but like I said, had no clue if it was accurate. Now, I am sure it is not. They didn't give me specific numbers, and I didn't ask, but I'm sure there are a lot of people for each spot. 4:1 sounds more realistic, but even that may be low. The impression that I got was that they had to travel to see more candidates than ever before.

Good luck. All we can do is wait :) I'm sure people will be asking me to talk about the interview; I'm not going to, as everyone is asked the same questions and it wouldn't be right. It's a med school interview, and pretty much what you would expect from one. Take Care.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

I was wondering about something: if you train at the Aussie schools, is there any problem with getting a license in any states?
Couldn't find any other threads/messages about this, but I seem to remember seeing it somewhere.......

hope everyone's doing well, esp. the ones dealing with isabel....

:eek:

Cheers,

Silenthunder

I am happy to report that I have been accepted to Flinders!! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Quick note before I head to Aus. for interviews :)...

If you too are heading there, do NOT use the normal travel sites (e.g., travelocity, yahoo, etc.) to book your INTERNAL flights -- I just spent several hours looking around and found that if you go directly to www.qantas.com.au, you will save HUNDREDS of dollars on each flight (N.B.: prices reported there are AUD).

-pitman

Absolutely - go to theQuantas site. Virgin blue is also good (very comparable), but Quantas seems to have more flights, and options in times.
Hey Pitman - when do you leave? One week and counting for me!
Lexy

Lexy - I tried a couple PM's to you, haven't heard back! Check the `User CP` link at top for your messages!

I leave Sunday, arrive Sydney 24th, immediately go to Brisbane for a few days, then to Adelaide from 27th to Oct 2, then back in Sydney Oct 2-8.

Email back and hopefully we can meet up. I'll be checking my email while on the trip.

-pitman

Pill Counter, flindophile, trkd, and any others currently at UQ, Flinders, or USyd:

When students come to your schools for interviews, are there any organized (institutional or not) social events between students and applicants? Like a formal Q&A session..having a beer..ritualistic debauchery.. etc...

`twould be nice.

-pitman

nope, but there's plenty once you're in. :D
you're looking at 600+ interviewees and our finals are in a few weeks, no possible way.

Originally posted by Jatpot
I know a bit more, having interviewed. There are more people interviewing for the international spots at USyd than usual. I'm sure my 3:2 was way off. It was a number I heard somewhere a while ago, but like I said, had no clue if it was accurate. Now, I am sure it is not. They didn't give me specific numbers, and I didn't ask, but I'm sure there are a lot of people for each spot. 4:1 sounds more realistic, but even that may be low. The impression that I got was that they had to travel to see more candidates than ever before.

Good luck. All we can do is wait :) I'm sure people will be asking me to talk about the interview; I'm not going to, as everyone is asked the same questions and it wouldn't be right. It's a med school interview, and pretty much what you would expect from one. Take Care.

did anyone else get an offer at USyd at the conclusion of their interview?

I did. Have you decided whether you're going to accepted it or not?

I received the following email from Victoria Haigh at Sydney GMP

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I am writing to you to inform you that you have been offered an
interview by the University of Sydney's Faculty of Medicine. At this
stage there are only three locations available for interviews, they are:

Sydney - available for 7 October

San Fransisco - available for 20, 21 and 22 October and

New York - available for 25, 27 and 28 October

Please let me as soon as possible your preferred location by return email. Please be aware that while every endeavour will be made to give you your preferred location, it may not be possible. We are unable to offer telephone interviews or video conference interviews.

----------------------------------------------------
I found it interesting because I thought the interviews were conducted in September. Have you guys had your interview? I don't know what's going on. I also received this questionary (or survey) for 2004 medical sydney admission. Did you guys receive it?

Originally posted by Syd
I did. Have you decided whether you're going to accepted it or not?

I'm not sure. I'm definitely leaning towards Flinders...
How about you?

From what I've seen, Flinders seems the way to go in the aussie route, but living in sydney would be interesting...

Members don't see this ad :)
Why do you feel that flinders is the way to go over usyd? Just curious as I was made an offer from Usyd at the conclusion of the interview, although they said that they would have to see my mcat scores first. So, now I'm even more terrified that I might have done horrible on the test.

Just wondering if any of you guys currently attend or will be going to the university of melbourne to do med ?

Yup. Would like to know why Flinders over USyd too. Personally, I only applied to Flinders, and will be going there.

I also read similar sentiments online in the old network54 forums... with one particular post that said specifically that USyd students themselves also think Flinders is better (in addition to reputation in hospitals and general sentiments of those who knows OZ med schools). And another mentions that Flinders is the way to go for OZ schools. But I never saw any good justification. Reading this: http://www.ocs.fas.harvard.edu/resources/health/Foreign Medical Schools.htm

Seems to only list Flinders as a school to check out in OZ. But that's just anecdotal, since they are just trying to give a sampling of reasonable schools to check out. So, why some say Flinders is better?

Among people I know, when I mention Flinders, the first reaction is: why not US? And the second question: what is that crummy, unknown school? Why didn't you apply to somewhere better like USyd? Of course, these people do not know anything about medical schools in OZ. USyd as a school is definitely famous among Asians.

BTW congrats to both for USyd admission, regardless of your choice.

From the homework I did, the people I contacted (kimberli cox, et all.), my advisors at school (harvard extension and rollins), all pointed me to flinders, if I decided to forego US medical schools (or worry that either I wouldn't get in to a US school, or get in to a place I really didn't want to go...).

Flinders was very attractive to me for several reasons. The city sounds right, the PBL sounds very attractive, I had a wonderful long conversation with Tim Neild at my interview. I've always wanted to live overseas. The possiblity of a US residency is reasonable and not to be worried about.

As cool as Sydney sounds to live in, I got the feeling that USyd wasn't up to the level of Flinders in preparedness for International Students, so I think I'll probably accept the flinders offer...

Thanks sfg5. Appears that my reason to go for Flinders is similar to yours, even though I did not apply anywhere else. I also had a very long and nice conversation with Tim. I was supposedly the very last person they interviewed the last time round in LA, and we chatted so long, we were both late for checkout from the hotel. Oh well... the hotel was lenient. The place sounds familiar to me (sounds like Cornell in Ithaca... a bit off from a city [Syracuse for Cornell, Adelaide for Flinders], scenic, beautiful, small town with school being majority of population in town).

Hope to see you in OZ soon then! (My lease ended at this apartment so I'm in the process of moving to temp housing right now... as we speak. So, I guess I'm already preparing for the future move by throwing out almost everything :) )

Originally posted by tl47
Thanks sfg5. Appears that my reason to go for Flinders is similar to yours, even though I did not apply anywhere else. I also had a very long and nice conversation with Tim. I was supposedly the very last person they interviewed the last time round in LA, and we chatted so long, we were both late for checkout from the hotel. Oh well... the hotel was lenient. The place sounds familiar to me (sounds like Cornell in Ithaca... a bit off from a city [Syracuse for Cornell, Adelaide for Flinders], scenic, beautiful, small town with school being majority of population in town).

hey all.....i agree with the Cornell comparison and, having gone there and had an absolute blast, i have similar expectations for Flinders. In fact I accepted my offer at Flinders yesterday. off to Adelaide! Sydney just didn't seem to have their proverbial stuff together - interview dates/locations/times changing without notification, etc. hopefully that's not a reflection of the rest of their program, though i might suspect that, being as large a school as they are, that similar problems with administration might be expected. kinda like UBC here in Vancouver.

Hmmm...have you guys been to Flinders?

I find very little to compare it to Ithaca. Flinders is in the suburbs of Adelaide, more specifically, Bedford Park. It is probably true that many people who live in Bedford Park work at the hospital but it is not really a town per se but rather surrounded by houses, with a *few* shops and restaurants in the area. There is no "plaza" or pedestrian village-like area around Flinders.; its not really like a college town like one sees at UVA, Penn State, Ithaca, etc. You have to travel to find a bookstore, cafe, clothing store, coffeehouse, etc. The large mall is only about a mile away which is walkable, and the city, with its shops and cafes, is only a 20 minute drive away, but Flinders is hardly a small town worthy of comparison to a college town.

The view from the campus (of the ocean) is beautiful (although please wait until fall or spring; everything on campus is a bit dry and dead when you'll arrive at the height of summer) and the campus itself is lovely, what with its own lake and evergreen forest. But it is not a college town as some of you seem to believe.

hmmmmmm. i still haven't heard a good argument to say that flinders is a "better" med school than usyd. i personally was accepted at both as well and have decided to accept the offer from usyd for several reasons. from the research i did on the matter (ie. speaking to md's and others in health care, and reviewing info from each schools web site as well as other web pages). i decided on usyd because it seems to be more well recognised in north america, has the choice of 5 clinical schools, is located in a major city, etc...basically from my view point it comes down to a matter of individual opinion...can anyone give me a good arguement to say that flinders is a "better" choice than usyd (or vice versa)? thanx.

Originally posted by Syd
i decided on usyd because it seems to be more well recognised in north america,

Not to get into the fray of which school is better, but is U Syd really more well recognized in the US because of its medical school or simply because people have heard of Sydney Australia and there is a presumed knowledge of the University?

Most US medical faculty I talked to before going had heard of Flinders (with Hiram Polk, Chief of Surgery at U of Louisville, calling it clearly one of the best foreign medical schools out there) and in high regard. No one had any specific information on Sydney.

Of interest, at least when I was there, the Flinders medical research budget and published output was the greatest in Australia.

Just my two cents...

Hello all,

I've already been in Aus for two years now. Good luck to all of you and congrats on your applications.

NOw that you have gotten into Australia many of you will undoubtedly want to stay but aren't quite sure how. If you do require any assistance please feel free to contact me.

[email protected]

Sydney is more recognised because it is Australia's oldest Medical school. The buildings are some what magnificent (from an architectual point of view). The main court at the University looks like a page out of a Harry Potter Novel.

The university campus is enourmous, spanning several suburbs, it is right in the City, and only a few minutes from the CBD. The area is rich in commerce and retail, so securing a part time job would be much easier than in Adelaide.
Public transport is also much more robust, so if you dont have a car, you will still find it very easy to get around.

The only draw back for Sydney is it is more expensive to live here than in Adelaide, but apart from that the only reason one would go to Flinders is if they didn't get into Sydney.

I fail to see how age of the school is indicative of the quality of education, or for that matter architecturally significant buildings that look as though they are off a page of a Harry Potter novel, or the size of the campus. You also suggest that for practical life-style reasons, Sydney wins out over Adelaide, finding a part-time job being one reason, but if the cost of living in Adelaide is less than Sydney why is this an advantage over studying at Flinders?

I think that age of the school can indicate a perception that U.Syd.
is the best medical school, but I agree with auser that it is not necessarily so......

I also think that Kimberley Cox brought this idea up when she mentioned that the name "sydney" may be perceived more positively by people outside of the country, because it is often thought of as a large/world-class city.

But perceptions don't necessarily mean its the best.......

Cheers,

Silenthunder

Originally posted by auser
I fail to see how age of the school is indicative of the quality of education, or for that matter architecturally significant buildings that look as though they are off a page of a Harry Potter novel, or the size of the campus. You also suggest that for practical life-style reasons, Sydney wins out over Adelaide, finding a part-time job being one reason, but if the cost of living in Adelaide is less than Sydney why is this an advantage over studying at Flinders?

People associate longivity with experience, in other words, It was the first med school in Australia, so they have been doing what they do for a long time now, and have had the experience to refine their program.

I was not indicating that the architecture implied superiority in the school, however it sure is nice to look at (Hence "From an architectual point of view")

I mentioned the size of the campus, because it would seem size is some form of measuring yard stick to Americans, i.e. Bigger is better (yes, i am just joking :) )

Sydney is a more expensive place to live, however as far as student expenses are concerned, they are pretty much on the level, i rent in Sydney for $130/week, and i get a damn good package for that, i would not expect to pay much less in Adelaide, if at all.

As i mentioned it is much easier to secure a p/t job here in Syd, and we generally have longer trading hours, which lends to greater flexibility.

Beleive me, unless you actually came from Adelaide, Sydney would win hands down for living practicality and enjoyment, time and time again. Adelaide is the "Church State", it has the ingrained image of a boring place, not to mention the differences in climate. Sydney has stunning beaches, within a few minutes of the city. In Adelaide, it is much colder, and the water stays very cold, due to the cold Antarctic tides.

As i mentioned before, the only reason one would go to Adelaide, is if they didn't/couldn't get into Sydney.

eric... hope to see you there... guess we'll be alma mater to two same schools then.

To the rest, thanks for sharing. I've not been to Flinders, so I'm keeping myself in check. Just seen whatever's online, pics, descriptions, etc.. I'm not sure if you have been to Ithaca, or the "grand" collegetown we have :). Hahaha. Seriously, the descriptions you all gave sounds even more like the Ithaca I knew than making me think otherwise. The collegetown is really just two streets worth of things (when I was there). Even the Wendy's in the dead center of that place was closed recently for lack of profit (I heard). Granted, it is nice to have a collegetown (regardless of size) with some places to get clothes, eat, party, etc., although when I lived in North Campus, it took a good 35 minutes walk to collegetown anyway.

We'll see. I think it doesn't need to be the same for us to have a blast. Just as long as it offers something similar --- natural beauty (water sports versus mountain trails/waterfalls), somewhat secluded area for studies, and enjoyment. This in comparison with some universities right in the center of a city (e.g. UIC). Definitely, Flinders appeals to me more.

As for the USyd and Flinders debate: I have some stats from my father (don't know where it was from, but some kind of official government data) in which Flinders was actually third in some of the research areas: papers published, money spent on research. I think U Syd was #1 or close to that for most of the categories. (Specific to medicine I believe). But that doesn't necessarily make it a better school.

Among Asians, no doubt that U of Syd is a better school. Just like Harvard can be thought of as a better engineering school than UIUC or Cornell (even MIT to a few), etc... even though they don't offer engineering in B.S.! Or USNews once reported that in their surveys to professional engineers, some believed MIT to be #1 in some subfields in which MIT doesn't even offer! This might be a slight problem when practising due to patients' perceptions of the doctor, I guess... but no biggie.

BTW, personally, i had one reason for not applying to USyd, although I almost did because people kept telling me to do so :). The reason was that I found them to be obnoxious. But given what i've seen so far in this forum (this and other threads), maybe they were just disorganized.

Three years ago, when asking for information (just scoping out the medical schools... not applying then), some rep in Malaysia (my original home country) took their sweet time replying, and came with a standard email that doesn't tell me anything relevant (despite giving enough info to them about myself) --- info for those entering as high school students direct from Malaysia. And the list of requirements I think included even primary school (e.g. grade report from grade school... grade 1 onwards) information, and were worded so demandingly I thought they wanted to compete with Harvard med. I got so disturbed by that, I decided not to bother applying even three years later. Maybe should have cut them some slack on that. I hope they weren't obnoxious, just disorganized! Not a very good impression regardless. (Wonder if they read these forums and realize their problems... re/scheduling interviews, and all those other issues?)

I was interested though to know other people's thoughts on the strength and weaknesses of each school. Thx for all the comments.

Originally posted by tl47
eric... hope to see you there... guess we'll be alma mater to two same schools then.

To the rest, thanks for sharing. I've not been to Flinders, so I'm keeping myself in check. Just seen whatever's online, pics, descriptions, etc.. I'm not sure if you have been to Ithaca, or the "grand" collegetown we have :). Hahaha. Seriously, the descriptions you all gave sounds even more like the Ithaca I knew than making me think otherwise. The collegetown is really just two streets worth of things (when I was there). Even the Wendy's in the dead center of that place was closed recently for lack of profit (I heard). Granted, it is nice to have a collegetown (regardless of size) with some places to get clothes, eat, party, etc., although when I lived in North Campus, it took a good 35 minutes walk to collegetown anyway.

We'll see. I think it doesn't need to be the same for us to have a blast. Just as long as it offers something similar --- natural beauty (water sports versus mountain trails/waterfalls), somewhat secluded area for studies, and enjoyment. This in comparison with some universities right in the center of a city (e.g. UIC). Definitely, Flinders appeals to me more.

As for the USyd and Flinders debate: I have some stats from my father (don't know where it was from, but some kind of official government data) in which Flinders was actually third in some of the research areas: papers published, money spent on research. I think U Syd was #1 or close to that for most of the categories. (Specific to medicine I believe). But that doesn't necessarily make it a better school.

Among Asians, no doubt that U of Syd is a better school. Just like Harvard can be thought of as a better engineering school than UIUC or Cornell (even MIT to a few), etc... even though they don't offer engineering in B.S.! Or USNews once reported that in their surveys to professional engineers, some believed MIT to be #1 in some subfields in which MIT doesn't even offer! This might be a slight problem when practising due to patients' perceptions of the doctor, I guess... but no biggie.

To tell you the truth, i didn't even know they had a medical program at Flinders, until i came to this board, and i live in Australia, infact i only vaguely knew where Flinders was.

Johnny69,

One question for the sake of argument, how long has the University of Sydney been offering their post-graduate PBL curriculum in medicine as opposed to just age of the medical school (I don't actually know the answer)? It would seem to me that the longevity of a program is a more meaningful yardstick to use.

Originally posted by auser
Johnny69,

One question for the sake of argument, how long has the University of Sydney been offering their post-graduate PBL curriculum in medicine as opposed to just age of the medical school (I don't actually know the answer)? It would seem to me that the longevity of a program is a more meaningful yardstick to use.

The university has been around since 1850, its the oldest University in Australasia. The medical program however was not developed until 1883.

It wasn't until 1992 that the Faculty took the decision to move to a four-year, graduate-entry curriculum with a completely new admissions process and a new curriculum based largely on PBL.

I have been talking to some students at work (path lab) about the medical program, because i have been thinking about studying at Australian National University (Canberra), which is starting its new medicine program in 2004 (also PBL). It will only be taking in 80 students a year, so there will be excellent opportunities for small tuition classes, and to get to know the students in my year much more personally, additionally all the facilities have been constructed new, rather than squashing a new program into existing infrastructure.

One thing my work collegues have mentioned is that they are very organised at Sydney, and the program and teaching methods are efficient and refined, because they have been teaching on the PBL paradigm for over 10 years now, they seem to know what works and what doesn't.

Originally posted by Johnny69
It wasn't until 1992 that the Faculty took the decision to move to a four-year, graduate-entry curriculum with a completely new admissions process ... they have been teaching on the PBL paradigm for over 10 years now
I don't know when the planning started, but the first intake of graduate students into the new programme was not until 1997.

Originally posted by mic
I don't know when the planning started, but the first intake of graduate students into the new programme was not until 1997.

Your right, my bad, got caught up in dates. The admissions process changed, and the teaching strategy also changed in 1992, however you are correct about implementing in 1997, as is my understanding.

Hi all,

I've interviewed at USyd; was not given an acceptance at the end of my interview, but that does not mean I won't get one. My question is this: a very well known and well respected MD at the hospital I work at (I'm talking internationally known) pulled me aside and advised me not to go abroad for med school. He thinks it is a huge mistake, and says that well respected residency programs don't even interview FMGs....and I quote, "they don't exist to a program like ours." He wasn't saying that that was a correct thought process, but that is how it is. I know it is theoretically possible to gain a residency upon graduation from an Aussie med school, but would I be wasting my time and money by going to USyd if I get in? Before I heard this, I was set on going if accepted, and very excited about the possibility of spending time in Australia.

Any thoughts???

Thanks.

Hi, i have a collegue who is a foreign student with a medical degre his country (from europe). he scored 99% on both step 1 and step 2. though he was rejected by many residency prgrams (i m taking 2nd and 3rd tier), he matched into Yale residency in anasthesiology (sorry for the spelling!) this year.
I have heard about similar stories like u did but i also know people who got into respected prgrams. So its really hard to tell the fact.

I guess one other thing that came to my mind was; would it not be cheaper to study here in Australia than overseas??

Sure you would be charged as an international student, and your tuition would be approx $30,000/year (excluding living expenses), however that is $30,000 AUD, which is significantly less in USD.

In Australia (i am a citizen), for me to study medicine, it only costs me $5800/year in tuition, it is called HECS (Higher Education Contribution Scheme). I defer this each year, as it is payed by the Commonwealth, effectively giving me a Debt to the ATO (Australian Tax Office). So i will walk away from University with only approx $22,000 AUD in debt, having deffered all my tuition costs.

The debt does not attract interest (only inflation), and i only have to start paying it back when i earn over $26,000/year. As my pay increases i have to pay back more, up to a maximum of 8% of my pay when i earn over $60,000/year, until the debt is cleared.

If i choose at any stage to pay off a lump sum (a lump sum is any amount over $500) then i receive a 15% discount on that payment.

I love our tertiary education system, it actually used to be free up until the early 80's.

Hey all,

Just got my confirmation for the date/time/place of interview for U.Syd. Anyone who is in the late interview group and is waiting can probably expect something this week. ( I know what I said in my post a couple of days ago..... I guess I was wrong:)

Cheers all,

Silenthunder

Hi all,

"they don't exist to a program like ours." He wasn't saying that that was a correct thought process, but that is how it is. I know it is theoretically possible to gain a residency upon graduation from an Aussie med school, but would I be wasting my time and money by going to USyd if I get in?

I guess you have to ask yourself would you be happy specializing in internal medicine, ob-gyn, pathology, psychiatry, or family practice? If the answer is yes I would definitely be satisfied with a career in one of those specialties then definitely go for it. You will also have a shot at the most competitive specialties but it may be more difficult.

The doctor who said that FMGs would not be accepted into the program may be blowing smoke. What program? Would you be satisfied with a residency at Duke or Hopkins? They accept FMGs.

to jatpot,

also check out scutwork.com.
as i was going through their residency list and pros and cons on the programs, the U of washington resident in surgery said they have 10 FMGs in their department. and who also happen to excellent docs...

Hi all,

I've interviewed at USyd; was not given an acceptance at the end of my interview, but that does not mean I won't get one. My question is this: a very well known and well respected MD at the hospital I work at (I'm talking internationally known) pulled me aside and advised me not to go abroad for med school. He thinks it is a huge mistake, and says that well respected residency programs don't even interview FMGs....and I quote, "they don't exist to a program like ours."
Thanks.

I've found that it's almost unpredictable which researchers and clinicians have this view, but it's typically b.c. they are stuck in an old mindset, biased by early Carib schools before their reps starting coming around. Even if they have inside info into their own residency programs, at best they are referring to a localized bias -- yes, many programs don't like IMGs, but many do, particularly those who have had past experience with good ones (of which there are many).

Good researcher/physician does not mean well-informed.

For more of my take on this, see:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=79668

-pitman

I know a lot of guys got their offer at the end of their USYD interview. Anyone actually got a confirmation in the mail yet?

Originally posted by bgeez
as going through their residency list and pros and cons on the programs, the U of washington resident in surgery said they have 10 FMGs in their department. and who also happen to excellent docs...

Just noticed that there is a Flinders grad, Timothy Williams, starting as a resident in Pathology this year at Dartmouth. There is also a Trinity (Ireland) grad starting in Surgery. Would you be satisfied with a residency at Dartmouth?

There are also Osteopathic grads starting in Family Practice, Internal Medicine, and Prelim Surgery as well.

Thanks for all your opinions. I can't specify exactly what specialty I will want until I have had exposure to them all, but I am leaning towards developmental peds or peds neurology. Hopefully I would be able to land a residency being a foreign grad. We'll see how it all works out; I may not even get in, and then the decision is out of my hands for the time being.

Take Care.

I know that some people have received offers from Flinders and from U. Syd according to this forum. Has anyone applied to UQ or Melb, and have they heard back as of yet?

Out of curiosity have any graduates applied to any 6 year schools? I pictured the scenario of someone in their late 20s going to a school with students straight out of high school and wondered if it ever happens..

Yeah, I interviewed with Queensland 2 weeks ago. Will hear around mid Oct.

jack

Hey guys,

I think someone asked this earlier in the thread, but what would be the average acceptable MCAT and GPA averages for Aussie schools?
Are they typically "easier" to get into than US schools or what?

I have always wanted to live overseas, esp in Aus/NZ and am planning on applying to schools over there so I would love to get a response to my questions. Thanks in advance.

Out of curiosity have any graduates applied to any 6 year schools? I pictured the scenario of someone in their late 20s going to a school with students straight out of high school and wondered if it ever happens.. [/B][/QUOTE]

Yes that would be me...however I wasn't in my late 20's when i applied..i applied in straight after highschool.

Couple points to keep in mind, here in Tasmania there are at least 15-20 Aussie mature age students. We have one that is 50. Other are all over 30. The other Canadian here is also 27...but that doesn't mean much since we all get a long quite well.

The real advantage to going to a six year school is that you get the basic sciences really grounded into you and you have 4 pure clinical years at a seperate school.

Also depending on the school you go to (ie rural vs. non rural) your chances for a PR are increased (if you intend on staying)

Originally posted by DocileMD
Hey guys,

I think someone asked this earlier in the thread, but what would be the average acceptable MCAT and GPA averages for Aussie schools?
Are they typically "easier" to get into than US schools or what?

I have always wanted to live overseas, esp in Aus/NZ and am planning on applying to schools over there so I would love to get a response to my questions. Thanks in advance.

hey docilemd,

It should be easier to get into Aussie schools, but not that much easier. Perhaps instead of 10, 10, 10, you are allowed one 9 or 8.

It also really depends on the number and quality of applicants each year. From the sound of this post, i gather it's going to be a real battle this year.

good luck applying to aussie, but i suspect you are way too late for this coming year. They are announcing the results soon. Uni of Queensland is Oct 15th, Sydney is Oct 30th.

jack