Applied for early decision, and feeling the pressure of acceptance now

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Benny_Macc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently a 4th year student at Oakland University. My major is Health Science with conc. in Pre-PT. I have all my pre-requisites out of the way, except for Precalc, which I plan to have taken my last semester. I applied early decision to Oakland, and I fit the bill for an average student accepted in the last cycle. I have a 3.75 cumulative and a 3.6 science GPA. I scored a 152 and 154 on the verbal and quantitative sections of the GRE, respectively (a 4.0 on the writing if that even matters). I have three outstanding letters of recommendation. One from the head of the Health Science department, a member of the adjunct faculty as well as being a practicing PT, and my current employer at the clinic I work at (who personally let me read the letter, and feel that letter sells my application). I have observation hours at a number of settings, including inpatient. I wrote a well-thought out essay explaining my role as a future therapist in the ongoing process towards Healthy People 2020. Lastly, the director of the Health Professions at Central Michigan University assured me that my credentials are strong enough to get in SOMEwhere.

I was feeling fairly confident in my application, until classes started today. I noticed that there are many Pre-PT students in my classes, and they have a diverse background as well. I regret not having a super diverse background displayed in my education, but it stings to think that students from many other schools are applying to the same program and there is nothing more I can do to strengthen my chances. I guess I just needed to vent somewhere, but have been bottling up my anxiety the past week :(.

Members don't see this ad.

Your stats are very good. My advice is to apply to as many schools as you can afford to. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to how schools make decisions on applicants. I've scoured these forums and saw applicants with nearly perfect stats lose out to applicants with low stats. I applied to ten schools to be on the safe side.

I am actually doubting I'll get in ED. Ultimately, it may be better if I get in somewhere else. I'm not that impressed with my school's faculty in the PT program, and really enjoyed my visit to Central Michigan University back in the summer. I was mesmerized by the facilities and have heard nothing but great things about the faculty from the therapist I work with. It'll all turn out for the best. I'm applying to seven schools in total, and actually would like to see if multiple schools bite.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure you'll get in somewhere. Your stats are better than mine. I bet you'll get multiple interviews. Make sure you do a good job on your PTCAS Essay. Have other people read it to make sure there are no errors. When you get an interview just relax and be yourself and you'll get in:)

I'm actually feeling better about it. I really would like to get into a school away from home. I commuted throughout my undergrad and need a change of scenery. Good luck to you! You'll get in as well. I'm praying for you :)

Got into Oakland ED!!! No doubts or regrets, I am going to learn a lot and enjoy it!

Congratulations:). I told you so LOL. You're among the first people to get into a program.