Applied in November--no interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Irene Adler

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
All of my secondaries were done by mid-November. I had a 29Q MCAT on my first try and a 3.92 post-bacc G.P.A. (community college) while working full-time.

I've gotten 2 rejections and nothing from the other eleven schools and I'm getting discouraged.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an Oregon Resident.

I got rejected from U of Rochester and Vanderbilt.

I also applied to OHSU, Creighton, Loyola, Saint Louis, Tulane, NYMC, Drexel, U of Vermont, MCW, Dartmouth and one other that I don't remember. Basically any college that I thought would accept out-of-state, non-traditional applicants (I have a B.S. in theatre and I'm a middle school science teacher right now with a masters.)

Note that the more I present my credentials, the less sure I'm feeling about my chances.

And it appears that I'm on the wrong thread--as this is my first application, but I've been working on it actively for six years (while working full-time) so it feels like I've been doing this forever.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should have applied DO. You would have had much success. Please see my thread in this reapplicants forum entitled "for those reapplying to only allopathic schools"

Irene,

First of all, you have NO reason to be discouraged. You have excellent scores both in GPA and MCAT. I read your list of schools that you applied to, and I admire you for applying to all those competitive schools. The schools that you applied to are not only competitive schools, but they also have thousands of applicants to choose from. Dont be discouraged because you have been rejected to only two. My philosophy is No News is Good News.

Second, I agree with Insert totally. DO schools love non-traditional students. You have the credentials to be a strong applicant at most MD schools and several of the DO schools. I am not trying to to convince you to apply to osteopathic schools, but I do think it would be a great option for you. You do what is best for you and go after what you want.

I think it is so cool that you were a theater major. I have actually met several theater and other "arts" majors at interviews and all them have been accepted to medical school at some time. Nothing is more rewarding that being able to mold young minds and give them an education foundation to build on. DONT GET DISCOURAGED. You WILL get accepted. I wish you all the luck in the world. Feel free to PM me with any questions that you may have.

i got my first big fat rejection the other day and have not heard anything else. now im counting down the days until i get the other 16 :(

You could have applied DO. They do like older-nontrad students. I am proof of that.

Now, what I am wondering about are the classes you have taken? Do you have a number of higher level science courses. I read that your BS was in theatre and you are now teaching science, but have you taken higher level science courses or just the basics?

But my biggest question is... How much clinical volunteer time do you have? That is a big requirement!!!!!!!!! What are your EC's?

chrisnobean stay positive, don't even expect anymore rejections! you will be just fine don't you worry!

thanks! i am trying

i actually am preparing for my first (and only?!?) interview at nycom. you have no idea how much that letter brightened up my day, and month!
but i havent heard anything from 12 freakin schools... this is getting a bit ridiculous.......

congratulations on the interview!!! go in and show 'em what ya made of. :clap: :clap: