Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Applied Physiology Program at FINCH/CMS

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by traumaMD, May 22, 2002.

1. traumaMD

traumaMD D O double C
    7+ Year Member

Anyone know about the rate of acceptance to their medical school after the completion of the AP program? I know it's not guaranteed acceptance but as long as I do well (about 3.0 or higher), do I have a good chance? Please post all you know about the program...thanks in advance!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. none

none 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

It seems to improve your chances at Finch slightly, but do considerably less for your chances at other schools. Make sure to consider other options.

4. traumaMD

traumaMD D O double C
    7+ Year Member

Help Guys.............BUMP

5. 1st Rain Drop

1st Rain Drop Sugarsnap Pea Snapper
    7+ Year Member

From what students who have been in the program told me it seems as long as you maintain a 3.0 GPA throughout the program you're almost guaranteed admission the following year (even though nowhere do they mention that on paper due to a lawsuit several years back). I hope this helps. Good luck.

6. Doctora Foxy

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I know that some of the classes you complete in the program you will obtain credit for as an MS1 so you would have an easier first year. :)

7. shorrin

shorrin the ninth doctor
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    traumaMD,

I was looking into that program. At nearly 34k I thought it was way too much for me. I looked into the physio/neuro MS program at NW. It is about 24k and looks like a great program.

Check it out:
    <a href="http://www.northwestern.edu/neurobiology/index.html" target="_blank">http://www.northwestern.edu/neurobiology/index.html</a>

8. traumaMD

traumaMD D O double C
    7+ Year Member

Shorrin,
    thanks i looked at that NWU prog but the thing is that at Finch if i get a 3.0 or higher i am "guaranteed" acceptance. does NWU also have that? I'm not sure.
    Are you going to do the NWU prog?

9. shorrin

shorrin the ninth doctor
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    heya trauma,

I was considering any program to bump up my GPA and I didn't want to leave Chi.

Finch looked like a good option but I was scared about the 3.0 and above "guaranteed" acceptence thing after reading the lawsuit that was posted a while back. Also, I thought an MS from NW would give me the freedom to find an actual job, or apply whereever. I don't think that they have anything w/the med school but a person in their office said that most ms grads go on to med school.

I'm not doing any program now but the finch would have been too costly a risk for me. I'd talk to the Director, Christine Jones about the program first.

I'm sorry that I can't be more help. I know how difficult a decision this is.

All the best to you!