Applied this cycle but not doing well in final year of classes... what to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

groundhogsholiday

Reaction score
I am in my last year of undergrad and applied this year to 26 MD programs... offered 2 interview so far but I am taking Orgo 1 and 2 this year (bad mistake)... I might end up with a D/F in Orgo 1 because I missed an exam by accident (my mistake), but I am optimistic I can do well in the spring and with orgo 2. If I can concurrently enroll in both classes, and I am accepted to a program, does it usually stand that I can gain admission and matriculate in 2023 if I graduate on time? I would have all credit finished and I would just send in my grades at the end of school year.

Members don't see this ad.

If you don't currently have an acceptance, I would put a whole lot more effort into not getting a D or an F in Orgo 1 than worrying about if you can get in. I cannot fathom how hard doing O Chem 1/2 at the same time would be, nor can I imagine your school will allow it if you get a D or and F. In most schools passing Orgo 1 is a prereq for Orgo 2 (and at mine you have to get a C or higher to take Orgo 2). I have no clue how you would convince your school to allow you to do Orgo 2 without passing Orgo 1.

Not to be rude, but "being optimistic" that you'll do well in a harder follow on class isn't enough, doesn't make any sense, and leads me to fear for your Orgo 2 grade. You need to figure out why you struggled and come up with a plan to learn the material better.

Reactions: 1 users
If you don't currently have an acceptance, I would put a whole lot more effort into not getting a D or an F in Orgo 1 than worrying about if you can get in. I cannot fathom how hard doing O Chem 1/2 at the same time would be, nor can I imagine your school will allow it if you get a D or and F. In most schools passing Orgo 1 is a prereq for Orgo 2 (and at mine you have to get a C or higher to take Orgo 2). I have no clue how you would convince your school to allow you to do Orgo 2 without passing Orgo 1.

Not to be rude, but "being optimistic" that you'll do well in a harder follow on class isn't enough, doesn't make any sense, and leads me to fear for your Orgo 2 grade. You need to figure out why you struggled and come up with a plan to learn the material better.
Yeah I get your sentiment. I didn't show up to an exam due to a delayed flight connection. I wasn't allowed to make it up and despite getting an A- on the one other exam, I still need to get a 97 or higher on the final to get a C as one exam score is a 0. If I were retaking simply because I didn't study then yeah I would be concerned too. Basically, my mistake led to my potential need to retake, not lack of knowledge.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is why I repeatedly had to let my wife down when telling her I refused to travel while taking prerequisites. My flights are frequently delayed and I was paranoid to the point that no one could convince me to travel during the semester, under any circumstances. I hope everything works out. Maybe see if the instructor will compromise and give you an incomplete and some sort of assignment(s) to earn a C grade. I understand the instructor didn't want you to miss the exam and then have the same chance as everyone else to earn an A, but maybe some sort of deal where you can earn a C with a make-up assignment might tempt them to show a little compassion.

Did you have time to withdraw? That would've been my move as soon as I realized I couldn't make up the exam, but I'm guessing it was too late to take the W.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I'm pretty sure that one semester of Organic is sufficient at most places.
Still, a D in organic should be avoided at the end of undergrad.
I would avoid it if I could. Drop deadline was way earlier in the term so I could not have foreseen this happening. I am afraid that I could be screwed considering it seems near impossible to explain my way out of this one...
This is why I repeatedly had to let my wife down when telling her I refused to travel while taking prerequisites. My flights are frequently delayed and I was paranoid to the point that no one could convince me to travel during the semester, under any circumstances. I hope everything works out. Maybe see if the instructor will compromise and give you an incomplete and some sort of assignment(s) to earn a C grade. I understand the instructor didn't want you to miss the exam and then have the same chance as everyone else to earn an A, but maybe some sort of deal where you can earn a C with a make-up assignment might tempt them to show a little compassion.

Did you have time to withdraw? That would've been my move as soon as I realized I couldn't make up the exam, but I'm guessing it was too late to take the W.
The professor told me that the school/ professor is not in charge of arbitration of excuses and that she won't be offering any help for the situation because then "everyone would have an excuse". It seems like the best to hope for at this point is that I studied enough to pass the class... and if not then thats's that...

Reactions: 1 user
I would avoid it if I could. Drop deadline was way earlier in the term so I could not have foreseen this happening. I am afraid that I could be screwed considering it seems near impossible to explain my way out of this one...

The professor told me that the school/ professor is not in charge of arbitration of excuses and that she won't be offering any help for the situation because then "everyone would have an excuse". It seems like the best to hope for at this point is that I studied enough to pass the class... and if not then thats's that...
I would have escalated to a department head or dean in this case if I were you

I would have escalated to a department head or dean in this case if I were you
Agree. I would fight on this, especially if you can get proof that the flight was delayed, which could be anything -- a notification from the airline, a schedule showing the delayed time, anything. It will take some phone calls or emails, but I think it's worth a shot. You may still have time. Keep studying for your upcoming final, but I would look into some form of remediation with the department and read your class syllabus with a fine-tooth comb.

I sincerely wish the best for you this cycle.

Agree. I would fight on this, especially if you can get proof that the flight was delayed, which could be anything -- a notification from the airline, a schedule showing the delayed time, anything. It will take some phone calls or emails, but I think it's worth a shot. You may still have time. Keep studying for your upcoming final, but I would look into some form of remediation with the department and read your class syllabus with a fine-tooth comb.

I sincerely wish the best for you this cycle.
Great idea. Professor might not wanna help, but maybe a higher-up will be able to and be understanding.

Your academic affairs dean should be informed by this position taken by the professor, especially if the professor is a favorite of the department chair or science dean. Even an ombudsman/person is helpful.

If this is exam week, study very hard to pass your class. Bring your documentation of your professor's position and be ready to challenge your final grade if you fail it.