General Admissions & OTCAS Applied to 7 schools and already rejected from all

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYY13251

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long story short, I applied to 7 schools. I got my B.S and graduated with a 3.21. I transferred schools after my sophomore year and assumed that the first school I went to factored into that GPA. I have been taking pre-reqs over the past year ( All A's: Anatomy 1 and 2, stats and sociology). Observed an OT. Worked hard in class. Got my applications done early. Had an amazing personal statement and evaluations. I got an email today my application was verified and i went on to see my GPA.. 2.96.. Below 3.0, which is what the schools want as a minimum. Absolutely crushing. All because of my Freshman and Sophomore year. I had a hard time those 2 years. First time away from home. After that, I transferred to a better school and got above a 3.0 the last 2 years and I have a 3.94 in the 4 classes I have taken over the past year.

I emailed all the schools explaining what happened and asking what I can do. So far, 1 school said apply for Fall 2019 and another said there isn't much else I can do. Another just responded and said they usually look at the GPA where I got my degree and if there is a big difference in transcripts, they can ask for a statement to explain why. We emailed back and forth and I am having a phone call with her tomorrow to discuss my transcript. She didn't have time to look over everything today.

I did realize I forgot about one other school I attended. I took anatomy online back in 2011 for my degree. I got an A- in that. Assuming they count that, it should bump me to a 2.98, which is .2 below. I am waiting to hear back from OTCAS to see what happens if i take a last minute course this Fall to bump it to a 3.0. I don't know if it matters what class I take. I am crushed. All the effort and money goes down the drain.

I feel like I have 5% chance. Before that, I felt really good about it. Other Ot's told me that I had great statement, great pre req grades and that even being a male would help. But this GPA thing just crushed me.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey bud.

What schools did you apply to?

Someone might chime in regarding their experience with those schools.

Hey bud.

What schools did you apply to?

Someone might chime in regarding their experience with those schools.

Davenport, Bay Path, Hofstra, Seton Hall, Midwesetern (Glendale), Stockton, Sacred Heart

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I remember you from your previous threads. Sorry everything turned out the way it did. I've browsed through this forum for a while now and I know I've seen posts where people got in with a GPA similar to yours. In fact, if you search "Low GPA", numerous threads will come up regarding this. Read them, see where they applied and how they got their application to the point where schools were willing to accept them despite their low gpa. Maybe retake a class where you got a lower grade and hopefully the gpa will bump up to a 3.0 and then apply to some schools that have a later deadline so that you can still apply for fall 2018. How many observation hours do you have? You said you observed with one OT. Get more hours and observe in more settings. I also see in some threads advice about applying to schools that only factor your last 60-90 credit hours. Best of luck!

Other OT-Related Information - 2.8/2.9 GPA

Hey, I remember you from your previous threads. Sorry everything turned out the way it did. I've browsed through this forum for a while now and I know I've seen posts where people got in with a GPA similar to yours. In fact, if you search "Low GPA", numerous threads will come up regarding this. Read them, see where they applied and how they got their application to the point where schools were willing to accept them despite their low gpa. Maybe retake a class where you got a lower grade and hopefully the gpa will bump up to a 3.0 and then apply to some schools that have a later deadline so that you can still apply for fall 2018. How many observation hours do you have? You said you observed with one OT. Get more hours and observe in more settings. I also see in some threads advice about applying to schools that only factor your last 60-90 credit hours. Best of luck!

Other OT-Related Information - 2.8/2.9 GPA

I did realize I forgot to add a school with one 4 credit class. So once I do, it goes to 2.98 (I think), but I called OTCaS and they said once they verify it, they do not update the GPA so schools will still see 2.96. I'm confused to how they would know. I can try taking another 3 credit course and get an A and hope that bumps it but if schools look at my app and see it below 3, would they even care? Another school responded and said the OT department will review my whole application. I spoke to a friend who used to use to work in admisssions at Columbia and is an OT and she gave me some advice on what to do next. Pretty much, I will be assertive and show these schools how much I want it. That's the best I can do. So upsetting still.

The schools already contacted you to tell you that they were not accepting you? That seems odd.

Anyway, take a look at schools that only look at the last 60 units of GPA and you'll be fine. We're not sure what your criteria are for schools you want to go to (location, faculty, cost, etc), so you'll have to be the judge of that. You can also look at programs that don't have a minimum GPA (NYU comes to mind) or schools that look at your whole application instead of throwing it out because of one factor (I wouldn't want to go to schools that do that anyway because my cumulative GPA doesn't say much about my 4.0 prereq GPA, work experience, volunteer experiences, goals, life mission, LOR, etc).

There's a way. Don't lose hope!

The schools already contacted you to tell you that they were not accepting you? That seems odd.

Anyway, take a look at schools that only look at the last 60 units of GPA and you'll be fine. We're not sure what your criteria are for schools you want to go to (location, faculty, cost, etc), so you'll have to be the judge of that. You can also look at programs that don't have a minimum GPA (NYU comes to mind) or schools that look at your whole application instead of throwing it out because of one factor (I wouldn't want to go to schools that do that anyway because my cumulative GPA doesn't say much about my 4.0 prereq GPA, work experience, volunteer experiences, goals, life mission, LOR, etc).

There's a way. Don't lose hope!

No. But the schools say a requirement is at least a 3.0.. I have a 3.34 in last 73 credits and post-degree is a 3.94 GPA. But I have a 2.98 cumulative GPA. I have mailed out letters to schools expressing that and asking to not judge me on the 2.98 because of my first two years in school. I spoke to admission director at Bay Path and she went over my transcript and can see how much I have improved and I went from a C-B to now an A student and have done extremely well in my pre-reqs. I am just worried that schools will look at my GPA first and toss my application away. I need them to actually look at the numbers OTCAS breaks it down. Look at each year and see how much I have improved.

I have signed up to take a 3 course Medical Terminology course. If I get an A, it would bump me to a 3.0. But then I just need schools to calculate my new gpa and not go by what OTCAS will have. I am going to do everything in my power to get this A and get to a 3.0. I just hope schools will give me the chance when reviewing my application and not just toss it aside. I am so upset over all of this. I worked so hard and got my applications done quickly and correctly.

No. But the schools say a requirement is at least a 3.0.. I have a 3.34 in last 73 credits and post-degree is a 3.94 GPA. But I have a 2.98 cumulative GPA. I have mailed out letters to schools expressing that and asking to not judge me on the 2.98 because of my first two years in school. I spoke to admission director at Bay Path and she went over my transcript and can see how much I have improved and I went from a C-B to now an A student and have done extremely well in my pre-reqs. I am just worried that schools will look at my GPA first and toss my application away. I need them to actually look at the numbers OTCAS breaks it down. Look at each year and see how much I have improved.

I have signed up to take a 3 course Medical Terminology course. If I get an A, it would bump me to a 3.0. But then I just need schools to calculate my new gpa and not go by what OTCAS will have. I am going to do everything in my power to get this A and get to a 3.0. I just hope schools will give me the chance when reviewing my application and not just toss it aside. I am so upset over all of this. I worked so hard and got my applications done quickly and correctly.

Okay so they haven't outright rejected you yet. You were just basing it on the 3.0 GPA requirement, right. Anyway, I've seen some programs that actually have a minimum requirement of a 2.95 gpa like A.T. Still I believe. There are a few others, you just have to research it. Some schools only look at the last 60-90 hours like I said before so there's still hope.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Don't fret. You did what you could. A lot of schools will look at your application, even with a 2.96, and many will look at the trend of your grades improving from undergrad to prereqs. Take some GPA booster classes in case this year does fall through, but I'm suspecting it won't.

Don't fret. You did what you could. A lot of schools will look at your application, even with a 2.96, and many will look at the trend of your grades improving from undergrad to prereqs. Take some GPA booster classes in case this year does fall through, but I'm suspecting it won't.

Thanks. I just signed up for Medical Terminology online. It is 3 credits and if I get an A, i should be right at a 3.0 ( i think.). I applied to A.T Still (Thanks Therapist2be). I just submitted the application. One school I applied to said they are strict about 3.2 GPA and another I was about to apply said not to since i was not at 3.2. So A.T makes up for one of them. I have 4 options left since I think another will say no since I am not at 3.2.

Hey I found some more schools for you:

Govenors State University

Applicants must have a cumulative grade point average of 2.75 or higher on a 4.0 scale for all undergraduate course work.
Applicants must have a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale for all prerequisite required coursework.

Baker College
A cumulative GPA of 2.5 or better on a 4.0 scale.

USA looks at positive grade trends. at least 3.0 preferred for prereqs.

for Baker I remember you need to complete prereqs at their school or something like that. Not sure if they changed this or not...

Thank you both! I will look into those. I don't know how many more schools I could apply to. I have spent so much already with all of these applications and supplemental applications, I am sick to my stomach over all the cost just to apply. Oy!

Have you looked into programs that are not accredited yet? You're taking a little bit of a risk, but very few schools fail to become accredited and you're more likely to get accepted because those programs tend to have fewer applicants. You could try Regis, Western New England, or Wesley

try gannon too, @NYY13251

but i also wouldn't be so sure you've been automatically rejected from the ones you've already applied to.