delete

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rx530

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
delete

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello everyone, I am currently a pre pharmacy student at a community college in northern california. I would like to apply to pharmacy school this cycle, but there is a few problems. The first problem being I am behind on many of my science courses. All my prerequisite courses will be completed by Spring 2018 besides organic chemistry 2 which I will have to take the summer prior to entry which leaves me with little options of schools to apply to since many require you finish all prerequisites by spring semester prior to matriculation and have a bachelors degree which I do not. Currently prerequisite wise I have finished everything non science related with A's. As for science I have completed Principles of Bio 1- A. Anatomy- A. General chemistry 1-A. Physiology-B. As for the arts classes such as english, psychology, speech etc I have finished all of those with A's. This semester I am enrolled in General chemistry 2, physics 1, calculus 1, and microbiology. Next semester ill be in Principles of bio 2, physics 2, ochem 1, and summer 18 ill be in ochem 2 completing my prerequisites. For some schools I am forced to apply now because of the due date such as UOP which is December 1st I believe. But other schools I have the option of waiting until submitting my application next semester? Should I wait until next semester to submit those applications since the courses I'm enrolled in right now are all important prerequisites? And if I wait I will have grades for those classes. Or should I submit my applications with those classes being in progress. My overall gap is a 3.9 with about 100 units completed due to me taking random classes at my community college while I was in high school. Also unfortunately I have no experience in pharmacy besides shadowing a few times. What are some things I should do to strengthen my application before applying as I really want to get in this cycle because I do not want to waste two years on a bachelors degree that will be useless to me. I am going to start shadowing more, trying to get a pharmacy tech job, and I just got offered a position as a tutor for general chemistry 1. I am also applying to UOP, Touro University, and California Health Sciences University as those are the only schools I can apply to with my circumstances in california. If you guys know of other schools I have a shot at please let me know whether they're in or out of state. What are my chances of getting in on this cycle?
Hey, just wanted to give you heads up on your upcoming transition...I graduated from a community college with 4.0 in sciences with ease, I mean I rarely studied and Still got all A's. I did all gen Chem, bio, a & p 1 and 2, calc 1 & 2, taking up to 20 credits per semester etc...EASY...and then I went for my B.S. to a big research university...and oh, man was I hit hard to the ground...I mean the difference in the levels of difficulty that I've seen between the two was shocking!... I don't mean to scare you or discourage you in any way... but there is a reason why a lot of schools may prefer candidates with B.S...the doctorate program is Very different from CC (Not saying you can't do it, though! )...I guess what I'm trying to say is that rushing through the very minimal requirements may not be the best idea...I think it could be very useful to take at least some upper classes in 4 year school just to see how you can handle the workload. For me personally, the transition was a struggle, but I ended up with 3.4, which isn't too bad, but that was a challenge. Also, I took Orgo 2 twice over regular semesters (because I wasn't happy with my grade and I felt like I've missed a lot of information) and I'm so happy that I did that because I also took intro to medicinal chemistry (which is part of P1) and honestly to understand the upper level chemistry you need to really know your orgo...so I would not take summer orgo even if it was for free!

P.S.: all of my schools required micro/macroeconomics, which is something I would never think about! Make sure you check out all of your prereqs before applying!

Best of luck to you!

Reactions: 1 user
Computer programming is a much better profession to get into especially if you want to stay in Northern California. It offers far better job prospects and quality of life, and pays well without you having to take out $200k+ in loans and spend another 4 years in school. A programming job will actually allow you to stay in Northern California, whereas you will most definitely be forced to move out of state (barring far Northern California, i.e. anything north of Chico) indefinitely after you graduate if you want to find a job as a pharmacist.

Status
Not open for further replies.