Apply early or wait for Summer grades?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CognitiveSci

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN,

So, I'm planning to apply to MD schools this upcoming summer. However, my GPA is ridiculously low; <3.0. If I wait to submit my application until after the first summer session, which ends the first week of July, my GPAs will both be over 3.0. I know a 3.0 isn't even close to being competitive, but with nearly 200 credits, my GPA really won't move much anymore. My question is: should I submit my application early and get it verified before summer school with a <3.0, then update later, or wait until July when my GPA will be over 3.0?

Obviously, I want to submit the best application possible, but waiting until July will mean I won't be verified until August, which may be late.

Supporting info (so far):
- URM (black female)
- TX resident
- In a post-bacc with 3.6-3.7 GPA when completed
- MCAT not taken, but aiming for May
- 200+ clinical volunteering hours
- ~50+ non-clinical volunteering hours
- 20 hours of shadowing
- 30 hrs/wk job

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Or Option C: wait until next year to apply. At this point without an MCAT score it's hard to tell what's best.
Being an URM and a female is a big leg up but probably best to have your ducks in a row. However if you get a 30+ on the MCAT (which I'm guessing you'll find out about by June) it wouldn't be unreasonable to apply this year and potentially get verified by mid-july.

Wait until you have a good MCAT to offset your weak GPA -- but not so late in the season as to sabotage your own chances. So if you have a 'decent' MCAT in July (TMDSAS opens early), save it for a year. But a GREAT! MCAT in July will be fine. You still need a bit more shadowing to get up to 'not a problem' territory also.