Apply Early?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

c_redleg

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I scored 8,11,11 on my MCAT but I'm thinking of retaking it in august and applying now. I've heard that applications for those who take the august test are held till the scores come in... does this apply for those who have taken it in april but retake it in august? If I were to improve my score by 2 or 3 points... will it be worth it if my app is held till the august score is released?

Members don't see this ad.

I would recommend that you go ahead and send in your application at the earliest date. Your AMCAS application will be forwarded to the schools along w/ your April MCAT scores. Many schools will send you an applications even if you are planning on retaking in August. The schools may elect to hold your completed secondary application until October when they receive your August MCAT scores. But, if you go ahead and send in your application now, you can fill out secondaries and get your recommendations forwarded to the medical schools to which you choose to apply. So, when schools receive your August MCAT scores, they can make a quick decision on whether or not to invite you to interview. Sending in your application early certainly won't hurt you, but if you wait till after August, it may hurt you.

thanks for your advice! this whole process is scaring the hell out of me. :p

I would not retake if I were you. You're more likely to go down in the sciences according to statistics and that will hurt you. Applying late will also hurt (i.e. August MCAT scores in mid-Oct). 11's are impressive and the 8 is not that bad IMHO.