apply for 2008 or 2009?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AnesthesiaMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have always been interested in research and science. I have chosen a biomedical sciences major in college as a precursor to a Ph.D. in Biology so that I could persue a career in research. However, the last few weeks have changed my life. My dad is a CRNA and one morning he invited me to go to work with him. I LOVED IT! I loved watching the surgeries, following a few docs around, etc. I also volunteered in the outpatient surgery dept. during these last few weeks while I am on break. When I go back to school, I hope to get into some volunteering at a hospital as soon as I can. You may have guessed, I really want to go to medical school. I feel this is something I will truly enjoy. I am a junior this year and as a result of my science major, I have gotten nearly all my pre-reqs for medical school in already. I can apply at the end of this year for the 2008 entering class or I could wait until next year (2009 entering class). My stats are 3.20 GPA, 3.00 BCPM, MCAT on May 16, 2007...If I get a 4.0 this semester, my GPA will be 3.32 overall and 3.18 BCPM. However, my recent trend of grades (last 58 credits) is 3.64 overall, and 3.57 BCPM (48 credits)(assuming a 4.0 for this next semester). If I were to wait, my GPA would be 3.51 overall and 3.42 BCPM with an upward trend (90 credits) of 3.78 overall and 3.73 BCPM with more clinical/volunteering/shadowing experience. I am a Michigan resident and am not looking to get into U-M or Hopkins, just a modest school will work for me. I should also note that my GPA is low because of my apathetic attitude toward school during my first year and a half. I just wanted to pass my classes and move on not really striving for better grades which I am definitely capable of! So, should I apply to a few schools this year or wait till next year? Thoughts and comments are appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on your new passion and your decision.

Here is my 3 cents:

From experience I know that you don't want to apply multiple times unless you have to. You should use the next year and get more clinical experiences and shadowing experiences. As you have clearly stated you can improve your GPA, and I think when you apply who should be in the best position possible.

There is certainly nothing wrong in waiting, you can turn this into an MD/PhD experience and get a free education! Even if you get a stellar MCAT you can always improve your GPA. Continue to do well in classes and use the time you have gaining some hands-on experience in the ER or elsewhere.

When you do decide to apply you can use your story as a great personal statement.

I am glad that you are excited and zealous about medicine. It is a great calling and a great career!

Whatever your final decision I will applaud and support you 100%, good luck!:luck:

Congrats on your new passion and your decision.

Here is my 3 cents:

From experience I know that you don't want to apply multiple times unless you have to. You should use the next year and get more clinical experiences and shadowing experiences. As you have clearly stated you can improve your GPA, and I think when you apply who should be in the best position possible.

There is certainly nothing wrong in waiting, you can turn this into an MD/PhD experience and get a free education! Even if you get a stellar MCAT you can always improve your GPA. Continue to do well in classes and use the time you have gaining some hands-on experience in the ER or elsewhere.

When you do decide to apply you can use your story as a great personal statement.

I am glad that you are excited and zealous about medicine. It is a great calling and a great career!

Whatever your final decision I will applaud and support you 100%, good luck!:luck:

I agree with everything said here. If you'll look up the average GPAs of even the "modest" schools, you'll find that they're several points higher than the ones you've projected for yourself with a 4.0 this semester. There's an "unspoken" 3.5 cut-off at an awful lot of places. You'll have a much better go of it if you don't apply until your BCPM and overall GPA have crept past 3.5.

Good luck, OP!
:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with everything said here. If you'll look up the average GPAs of even the "modest" schools, you'll find that they're several points higher than the ones you've projected for yourself with a 4.0 this semester. There's an "unspoken" 3.5 cut-off at an awful lot of places. You'll have a much better go of it if you don't apply until your BCPM and overall GPA have crept past 3.5.

Good luck, OP!

If I were to wait for my BCPM to reach 3.5, I'd spend more money and have to wait a few more months to apply which would set me back. Won't an upward trend of 3.71 in my last 2 years of BCPM credits compensate for a 3.42?

Good luck, OP!

*double post*
continued...
I mean especially since they're upper division courses and the mitigating factor of my sudden passion for medicine as a motivating factor for getting higher grades?