Apply for Fall 2009 or wait to apply for Fall 2010?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sUrface

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
GPA: 3.792

Brief overview:
Gen Chem I / II: A/A
Orgo I/II : A/A
Calc I/II: B/B
Bio101 / Microbio: A/A
Physics I/II: A/B

Biochem 1: A
Pchem 1/2: A/A
Pchem lab I: Currently taking
Mammalian Physiology: B

Upper level courses left to take: Biochem 2 and 3, Pchem 2 lab, instrumental analysis lab.
Prereqs left to take: Stat, Socy/Psychology, Microecon, Anatomy I+II

The thing is, I don't have any pharmacy experience. I have 1 year experience in an Organic research lab and a publication in a Scientific journal with me listed as a co-author that will be released later this year.

I also don't have any community service experience. Even though my GPA is high and with a high PCAT score, not being active in the community and the field will hurt me I suspect. Will applying for Fall 2010 at the end of my senior year help me if I take up a pharmacy tech job and perform more volunteer service over this summer and next school year? I would really like to go to UMD Pharmacy school in Baltimore to be able to stay in-state. Also, if I apply for Fall 2010 I will have a completed BS degree in Biochemistry.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would stay and finish the degree if I were you (I did that myself). For me it was more of the accomplishment of a bachelor's degree than it was about being worried about getting in. I think it really does help though in getting accepted and being ready for the program.

wait, am i missing something? "apply now" as in applying for fall 08? it's already april..a lot of schools have already closed their application windows
you might as well just wait to apply for fall 09 so you have a better chance

Members don't see this ad :)
wait, am i missing something? "apply now" as in applying for fall 08? it's already april..a lot of schools have already closed their application windows
you might as well just wait to apply for fall 09 so you have a better chance

I think the title was confusing, I'm sorry. I changed it, hope it clears up the confusion.

your grades are more than good enough...you still have a couple of months to apply for fall 09 so my recommendation is that you try and apply at a pharmacy or at least shadow a pharmacist ASAP
i only had a few months of pharmacy experience when i applied and i got in (my GPA was a 3.3 when i applied)

also, i think if you have pharmacy experience, the extracurricular won't matter TOO much--but if you have time, you might as well get some. try volunteering at the boys and girls club or something or do canned food drives--anything looks good and you don't necessarily need 500+ hours of volunteering either

also, i suggest you get experience now not only for your application, but also so you know what pharmacy is like