Apply for pain certification before board cert?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medolas

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the deadline for the Pain boards looms (Feb 15), I'm undecided whether or not to apply. My orals (in anesthesia) are in April, so I should find out in plenty of time before the pain boards in September. Should I put down the precious $1000 and then cancel (-$100 penalty) if I don't pass the orals? Or, should I just wait for next year (assuming I pass the orals). Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

take them as soon as possible, once you are in practice you will find precious little time to study for either. Plus the information will be fresh in your mind.

It is obviously a personal decision. Some people know what kind of time they can (and need) to put into studying for exams.

I took the oral boards and pain boards within 6 days of each other.... not something I had thought that much about when signing up,.... and probably regretted at the time. But am glad to get it all over.

As time gets near... focus on the oral boards. If you pass oral boards, but fail pain boards --> not too big of a deal. But if you fail both (or fail just the oral boards), then you have to repeat both of them.

My 0.02$