• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Apply for pain certification before board cert?

medolas

15+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2004
Northern CA
  1. Attending Physician
    As the deadline for the Pain boards looms (Feb 15), I'm undecided whether or not to apply. My orals (in anesthesia) are in April, so I should find out in plenty of time before the pain boards in September. Should I put down the precious $1000 and then cancel (-$100 penalty) if I don't pass the orals? Or, should I just wait for next year (assuming I pass the orals). Any advice?

sleepydoc

7+ Year Member
    15+ Year Member
    Nov 14, 2003
      It is obviously a personal decision. Some people know what kind of time they can (and need) to put into studying for exams.

I took the oral boards and pain boards within 6 days of each other.... not something I had thought that much about when signing up,.... and probably regretted at the time. But am glad to get it all over.

As time gets near... focus on the oral boards. If you pass oral boards, but fail pain boards --> not too big of a deal. But if you fail both (or fail just the oral boards), then you have to repeat both of them.

My 0.02$

About the Ads
      This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      7. This thread is locked.