Apply in the summer or retake MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AnthroMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I'll try to make this as short as possible, but my question is whether or not I should sign up for a third MCAT attempt and try to get mid-30s or keep what I've accomplished and apply during the summer with a Master's degree under my belt :

1) Graduated from UF in May with a BA in Anthropology, overall GPA was a 3.29.
2) Took the MCAT in May and received a 24P (10P,08B,06V)
3) Applied to USF One Year Master's Program for pharmacology and shortly after starting the program I received my scores from my 2nd MCAT and got a 29O (09P-10B-10V).
4) Just completed my first semester...getting grades back on Tuesday and expecting to get a 3.77.

ECs:
1) I will be starting research with tumor cells at USF shortly, with the possibility of publications on top of project involvement (~15-20 hrs./week). I'm considering doing USF's new Pre-Professional MS program during the year off so I will be able to stick around for the research experience.
2) Interventional Radiology- Volunteer and Shadowing (30 hrs.)
3) D.O. Family Practioner- Shadowing (30 hrs.)
4) I have extra shadowing experiences planned for next semester
5) Undergrad AMSA- as a member of the Health Outreach Committee we participated in various community activities. The most meaningful to me was taking people blood pressures and glucose levels for free at the Gainesville Art&Music Festival.
6) Minimal undergrad research exposure to movement disorders, mainly Parkinson's and Dystonia (one semester- ~10-15 hrs)

Thanks! :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

How confident are you of landing a 32+? Otherwise, you might be doing good for in-state for FL.

It really depends on where you want to go to school. You could prob get into DO schools no prob.

If your going for MD apply in the summer and retake the MCAT. Its always better to apply early but make sure you write that you have a pending MCAT scheduled

Members don't see this ad :)
See that's the million dollar question! I know that some med schools add up your best performance in each section, in which case I would have a 30P with 10s in each section. But the one thing I'm scared about is obviously doing worse... which would definitely not be good.

Yeah I want to stay in FL to cut down on cost. I could go to either NOVA or LECOM for DO school but I would rather go the MD route. I wouldn't be upset if I only got into D.O. school but I'm shadowing a Family Practice D.O. and he rarely uses manipulation so I'm not too sure.

Thanks!

How confident are you of landing a 32+? Otherwise, you might be doing good for in-state for FL.

I plan on applying the day the 2011 cycle begins. I had planned on applying this past summer but was too hesitant to apply with a 24P. But hey, it got me into the program I'm currently in.

I almost applied in October when I found out my 29O but I felt like it was already too late and that my chances would be insignificant with only a semester of grad school completed.

I hope to be much much more prepared this time around. We shall see.

Thanks!

It really depends on where you want to go to school. You could prob get into DO schools no prob.

If your going for MD apply in the summer and retake the MCAT. Its always better to apply early but make sure you write that you have a pending MCAT scheduled