RLSGrasshopper

2+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2015
Status
Medical Student
I'm an US-IMG w/a low Step 1 score. I want to apply to IM programs. So I thought I was ready for Step 2 CK. I took NBME 4 last week, scored EXTREMELY LOW, 190 = 173 . I'm thinking about applying late, prolly 1st or second week of October. Now I'm confused about whether or not I should apply late or wait till next years match. Anyone with advice, I would greatly appreciate it.

Last edited:
OP
RLSGrasshopper

RLSGrasshopper

2+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Thank you guys. As pissed as I am about my situation, given that my 3rd year ends by the middle of this upcoming September & I won't graduate till May-June 2017, this takes some pressure off my shoulders.

hjdmx

5+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2013
Status
Thank you guys. As pissed as I am about my situation, given that my 3rd year ends by the middle of this upcoming September & I won't graduate till May-June 2017, this takes some pressure off my shoulders.
as US IMG, its better wait and applying in October as a US-IMG is a waste of money- trust me. Better wait, do well on Steps, volunteer, schedule electives/ externships at hospitals your interested in since programs will pick those people readily for interviews.

Reactions: RLSGrasshopper

the argus

2+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2015
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
If you aren't gonna graduate until May or June, you likely wouldn't be able to start residency July 1st anyway. To start residency you need to be ECFMG certified, which you can't be until you graduate. From the time it takes med schools to submit the paperwork, and the ECFMG to process it, you're usually looking at ~2 months start to finish.

And as others have mentioned, as a US-IMG, especially with a subpar step 1 score, you need to have a step 2 score when you apply and you need to apply the day ERAS opens.

Reactions: RLSGrasshopper