AnonymousDoctorGuyPerson

2+ Year Member
May 19, 2017
Hello SDN,

I'm starting an SMP this Fall which grants an automatic interview to those who pass certain thresholds during the Fall semester. As such the timing of submitting my AMCAS for this school doesn't matter. I'm encouraged to apply to at least this school if not others due to the chance of a guaranteed interview.

Now due to my current situation I probably wouldn't have a verified AMCAS until September. Is it still worth applying to some local state schools on top of the SMP school? They're "low tier" so to speak and I do fall in line with their mission. Or is this considered too late and I should stick with the one school?

My logic is I'm already going through the application process I may as well make more shots.

Thanks!

Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Your state schools have a mission to favor the home team, so your best bet with a late app is with them (and DO schools).

For neighboring states, this is not a done deal. Check MSAR Online and pay very careful attention to the IS vs OOS apps vs interviews vs matriculants. As an example, NJ schools rarely take OOSers. Ditto NV with CA residents. However, U AZ seems to like Golden Staters.

EDIT: med schools are unlikely to take you simply because you have a single good semester in an SMP. For me, I want to see an entire year of good grades.

Reactions: 1 user

Shirafune

7+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
FWIW, I am starting school at a SUNY that I applied to in October as a last minute application. I'm a CA applicant.

I think you should apply to local state schools if you have the money.

About the Ads

AnonymousDoctorGuyPerson

2+ Year Member
May 19, 2017
Your state schools have a mission to favor the home team, so your best bet with a late app is with them (and DO schools).

For neighboring states, this is not a done deal. Check MSAR Online and pay very careful attention to the IS vs OOS apps vs interviews vs matriculants. As an example, NJ schools rarely take OOSers. Ditto NV with CA residents. However, U AZ seems to like Golden Staters.

EDIT: med schools are unlikely to take you simply because you have a single good semester in an SMP. For me, I want to see an entire year of good grades.

Thanks Goro.

I have a year (6 courses) of UDVbio courses as well taken as a postbacc. 5 As and an A-

Not exactly the greatest but I was also working consistently overtime for that one semester with the A-

And that's a shame about NJ, was interested in their schools. Fortunately my state has a lot of state schools and I'll take cheaper tuition any day haha

Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Thanks Goro.

I have a year (6 courses) of UDVbio courses as well taken as a postbacc. 5 As and an A-

Not exactly the greatest but I was also working consistently overtime for that one semester with the A-

And that's a shame about NJ, was interested in their schools. Fortunately my state has a lot of state schools.
In your case, this should work! But have a good MCAT to go with it (510+)

AnonymousDoctorGuyPerson

2+ Year Member
May 19, 2017
In your case, this should work! But have a good MCAT to go with it (510+)

Taking my MCAT next week, if my full lengths have anything to say about it I should do a very decent margin over 510! Here's to hoping. I'm confident in a 514+

Thanks again Goro

Reactions: 1 users

efle

not an elf
7+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Complete Sept is very normal timing, not catastrophically late! Worth it for sure especially with a 514+

About the Ads
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.