Apply May 15 or wait to take Genetics, then apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

laugh

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a lower GPA (~3.21). I am taking the DAT this summer and also taking a Genetics course. The course ends July 5, and I could apply around July 10. I will not take the DAT until the end of July regardless if I apply May 15 or July~10. I am confident I can get an A in the class, and this would increase my GPA/sGPA a bit. Any opinions would be appreciated....

Members don't see this ad.

since you are not taking the DAT until the end of july, ad coms will not take a comprehensive look at your application until then. by that time you will also be done with genetics and so you should have already sent in an updated transcript to AADSAS so that they can send out your updated application to all the schools, with your DAT scores following shortly afterwards.

I say, given that you have everything else in order (LOR, personal statement, etc.), apply May 15. it really helps to get the ball rolling as soon as possible. it won't take much time for your updates in july to catch up.

apply asap, then follow up by submitting your grades directly to each school. They will wait to evaluate you until your DAT is in. You can list courses that you are planning to take on your aadsas, but you won't be able to update until Dec.

In my case, I submitted May 20th, took biochemistry over the summer (got my grade July 29) took the DAT July 21. I submitted a letter to each school i applied to with a update on my grade, my current science gpa, and a copy of my DAT score (since they get released to the schools a few weeks after they are taken)

I did not get any negative feedback from any of the schools I applied to, and received early interviews.

Good luck with your application!

With a below average GPA, your admissions future is dependent on your DAT scores. Recommend you not take any courses this summer and just study for this test. You'll get a slight bump in GPA with an A in genetics; but if you can raise your DAT score 1 or 2 points, the difference will be much more significant.