Apply next year? or wait?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by relentless11, Aug 10, 2001.

1. relentless11

relentless11 Going broke and loving it
    Moderator Emeritus

Pre-Medical
    Hey guys, i'm just wondering if i should apply next year. Looks like i'll have a cum of a 3.1 and a sci GPA of about the same. Yea this sounds like one of those:"whats my chances" type posts. But before you guys torpedo me, no matter what i'm just gonna keep trying. I'm just wondering from your experiences what would be your plan.

MCAT was a 29 or so, i'm gonna take it over. So no worries. I'll do my best. I'm not gonna do myself any good by "predicting" what i can get on the MCAT. Just gonna do my best. And ofcourse the higher the score the better :).

My grades year by year will show a gradual increase in GPA. Which is good too. I've read from other posts that this is something that is good. This is why i'm askin you guys if i should apply or not.

There are so many..."other" things to take into account, i just need some people with experience on this matter to talk to.

Ok back to my stats, extracurriculars are different from most people, and are up to par with the stuff expected from a pre-med student. I have done my volunteering, and such. Spent two years coaching water polo and swimming. So thats something unique i suppose.

I'm gonna get published soon for my research, so thats another good thing. I'll also atleast be acknowledged in a medical textbook once it gets published also. Letters or recommendation will be good too. They seem to be the best people i can hope for.

Parents disadvataged since came from a country far far away. So i can potentially claim some sort of disadvataged status some how. My C's and such can be explained by a death in a family. Have never had to retake a class, so i guess thats good too.

Planning to take an EMT class, for my own education though. Not for the medical thing.
    So....yea, i think thats about it. Oh yea, i also am a "big brother"(mentor) to a disadvantaged child.

All i want if i do apply is to make it to an interview. I can deal with the rest on my own ya know? I know i have a long uphill battle ahead no matter what. I have already planned out back up scenarios. Which include post-bach and grad programs.

SO what do you guys think? Apply next year for the fall 2003? or wait till spring 2003 to apply for the fall 2004 school year?

If i do apply, does anyone know of any school's that DO NOT screen? I saw some on the posts. Just wondering if anyone has any other ideas.

Lastly any other....input would be helpful.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Popoy

Popoy SDN Super Moderator

Resident [Any Field]
    If you have money to spend, I'd say go ahead and try out a few med schools.... If you haven't applied yet, it maybe a bit late, then again with the whole AMCAS disaster it may not be.... Good luck....

Bumpin' this up for others to comment....

4. relentless11

relentless11 Going broke and loving it
    Moderator Emeritus

Pre-Medical
    Thats what i was thinking Popoy. The money isn't TOO bad if you figure it in for just the first applications. I'll be ecstatic to get secondaries right now actually.

Heh, but yea though i'm not applying right now, this AMCAS thing is ........not to fun. Hope they clear it up next year.

5. Amy B

Amy B I miss my son so much
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Resident [Any Field]
    I would apply if I were you. In your essay summerize your wanting to be a doctor. In a short and to the point paragraph tell about the death and the C's which brought down your GPA. Not everyone who is excepted is a 4.0, 40MCAT. Schools are willing to take someone with less than stellar grades if they can see a reason. Talk to someone in an admissions department and spell things out for them and see what they would suggest. They are willing to help. Good luck.