Apply now or do I need more volunteer work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TauParticle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I posted this in another forum, but was told I could get some good advice here.

I'm almost done with my application, but I'm worried if my lack of volunteer work is going to hold me back. All I've got in that area is that I volunteered as a Tae Kwon Do instructor at my dojo for 4 hours per week throughout high school. I've heard high school experiences might not count for much. Do you think this will be a significant negative on my application? I feel very good about the rest of my app:

MCAT: 14P 11V 13B R = 38R

UG GPA: 3.6
UG Sci/math GPA: 3.7
UG Upper division major GPA: 3.9 (basically I blew it my freshman year and got straight A's after that)

I also have a Master's in molecular biology, and have 3 years of research experience in that field (2 in grad school, 1 in undergrad). From this research, I got a first authored publication (recently submitted, not yet accepted) and gave a talk at a conference. One of my letters of rec is from my PI. Graduate GPA was 4.0

3 summers of Physics research at Stanford Linear Accelerator Center under a Nobel Prize winning physicist (got a letter of rec from him).

2 years of teaching experience as a TA for Pharmacology and Genetics courses. Got a letter of rec for one of the professors I was a TA for (she was also on my thesis committee for my Master's and I took classes with her too).

My clinical experience comes from a paid summer internship I did at the Sansum Diabetes Research Institute. This was a premedical oriented internship program where I shadowed all sorts of doctors, worked at a gestational diabetes clinic, did a literature review project that resulted in a publication, and received all sorts of medically related training. I got a letter of rec from the Institute's CEO. My future research interests are in endocrinology and diabetes, so this supports that pretty well IMO.

Currently working at a major biotech company in research operations (manager kind of stuff, not lab work, but all my work is related to the drug discovery process and I think it's good experience).

I've been competing in powerlifting (weightlifting competition involving bench press, squat and deadlift ... not the ones that are in the Olympics) for 4 years and set several state records in the junior division.

So that's where I am... I feel like I've done a lot of good stuff, but I'm worried I'll been seen as heartless by adcoms because I didn't go on a mission to Africa or something... Do you guys think I should try to sign up for some kind of clinically oriented volunteer work before I apply so that I can list that on my app, or will adcoms see it for what it is, a last ditch effort rather than something meaningful. Should I write about the Tae Kwon Do stuff in my work/activities? It was actually meaningful to me in that I helped out my dojo when it was struggling financially, but it was a while ago. Will it count for anything?

Members don't see this ad.

I assume if you're posting in here that you're applying to MD/PhD programs? Just wanted to double check that you're not applying to straight MD as that would change how we would answer your question.

So, assuming the former, I think you're totally fine. Just because your major clinical experience was paid doesn't mean it's not significant. MD/PhD ad coms are looking to make sure that you understand what it is to be a clinician and anyone can recognize that your summer internship was great for that.

You're right that high school experience isn't really considered. The Tae Kwon Do isn't something that you could list in your ECs since it was in high school, however, if you think it shaped your development in a meaningful way then you could totally work it into your essays.

IMO, you're golden, and you're definitely over thinking. If you write some kick ass essays, and have excellent LORs, I predict you will have multiple acceptances.

Thanks for your response! Yes I'm applying to MD/PhD programs only. What a relief ... I think I'll actually be able to get some sleep now :)

That all sounds really good to me! I'd apply now if I were you.