Apply now or next cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ianmbarnes1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I apologize. I posted one other time asking about chances, and I have to admit some of my stats were a lie at the time. I was just feeling overly optimistic about how much I could raise my GPA in one semester.
So I got my MCAT score and it's truly a 30 (thank the lord!)
Real Stats:
cGPA 3.37
sGPA 3.23
MCAT 30 (10 V, 9 P, 11 B)
Molecular Bio major Univ. Illinois-CU junior
Shadowed my primary care D.O. physician for 2 work days
About 200 hours of Hospital volunteering, involving patient contact (bp, oxygen levels, etc.)
Presentiation Officer for my school's Habitat for Humanity chapter
Clinical volunteering abroad for 1 week spring '14 Nicaragua
Consistent volunteering with Habitat for Humanity locally and in other states
Consistent volunteering to tutor and mentor kids with my school's FIMRC chapter
Sang all 3 years with 2 semi-professional classical/baroque choirs.
One year research experience in Psycholinguistics lab, setting up E.E.G., data entry etc.
Employed 15-20 hrs/week since beginning of sophomore year.
Letter of rec from my DO (decent), and from my advisor (decent), hopefully from a professor.

I'm applying to only D.O. schools...
Should I wait?
Edit: yes I meant the class of 2020

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are you asking if you should retake the new MCAT? If so, you're good with a 30. And the GPAs are a little low but if you apply day 1 you'll have at least one acceptance by the end of next cycle.

Your GPAs are a bit low but your MCAT is above average in most schools. I would not suggest a gap year. Make sure you have all your personal statement and LORs ready and apply early and broadly.

Members don't see this ad :)
To those who say apply this cycle (2014-2015 cycle for class of 2019), you guys are being a little too optimistic, if not out of your minds... It's february.... almost end of February...!! Most schools are interviewing now for wait list. Not to mention OP has to get his primary verified and blah blah blah. It's definitely not a good idea to apply now. Apply for class of 202o in June.

I'm pretty sure that they're advising OP to apply on the first day application opens (in June 2015). Good luck OP.

Write killer PS, apply on first day, happy broadly, write good secondaries and you'll get at few acceptances. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Apply June of 2015 and you should get interviews. I recommend shadowing a DO for more than 2 work days. Maybe spend 50 hours if you can

Apply 6/1/15!!!!

Don't you dare retake that wonderful MCAT score!!

I apologize. I posted one other time asking about chances, and I have to admit some of my stats were a lie at the time. I was just feeling overly optimistic about how much I could raise my GPA in one semester.
So I got my MCAT score and it's truly a 30 (thank the lord!)
Real Stats:
cGPA 3.37
sGPA 3.23
MCAT 30 (10 V, 9 P, 11 B)
Molecular Bio major Univ. Illinois-CU junior
Shadowed my primary care D.O. physician for 2 work days
About 200 hours of Hospital volunteering, involving patient contact (bp, oxygen levels, etc.)
Presentiation Officer for my school's Habitat for Humanity chapter
Clinical volunteering abroad for 1 week spring '14 Nicaragua
Consistent volunteering with Habitat for Humanity locally and in other states
Consistent volunteering to tutor and mentor kids with my school's FIMRC chapter
Sang all 3 years with 2 semi-professional classical/baroque choirs.
One year research experience in Psycholinguistics lab, setting up E.E.G., data entry etc.
Employed 15-20 hrs/week since beginning of sophomore year.
Letter of rec from my DO (decent), and from my advisor (decent), hopefully from a professor.

I'm applying to only D.O. schools...
Should I wait?
Edit: yes I meant the class of 2020

Reactions: 1 user