Apply now or take a year off to boost ECs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JBOB

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, another first time poster but long time lurker here. I am in a bit of a predicament and could use some advice. I think I have decent stats, 39MCAT (14PS, 10VR, 15BS) and 3.82cgpa/3.86sgpa, but my ECs are not great:

-1yr ER volunteer (4hrs/week)
-1yr Lab assistant (no publications but a little research experience)
-40hrs shadowing 5 different physicians
-1yr of tutoring middle school/elementary schools students with learning difficulties (Work Study)
-Orientation Leader
-History club treasurer
-Floor VP at my dorm for 1 semester
-Guitarist in a band
-Construction/painting work
-Other hobbies, clubs, ect.

What I'm wondering is whether I should apply this cycle or take an extra year to boost my ECs? I'm a junior now so if I apply next cycle I would only be taking one year off school, although I would prefer not to do that. It also might be helpful to note that I am a male Caucasian, go to a state school, am a dual citizen (US/NZ, I have no idea if that makes a difference...), and am applying as a disadvantaged applicant economically since my family's income was well below the poverty line for my entire life.

Would I be at a disadvantage next cycle if I apply this cycle but don't get in?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all, another first time poster but long time lurker here. I am in a bit of a predicament and could use some advice. I think I have decent stats, 39MCAT (14PS, 10VR, 15BS) and 3.82cgpa/3.86sgpa, but my ECs are not great:

-1yr ER volunteer (4hrs/week)
-1yr Lab assistant (no publications but a little research experience)
-40hrs shadowing 5 different physicians
-1yr of tutoring middle school/elementary schools students with learning difficulties (Work Study)
-Orientation Leader
-History club treasurer
-Floor VP at my dorm for 1 semester
-Guitarist in a band
-Construction/painting work
-Other hobbies, clubs, ect.

What I'm wondering is whether I should apply this cycle or take an extra year to boost my ECs? I'm a junior now so if I apply next cycle I would only be taking one year off school, although I would prefer not to do that. It also might be helpful to note that I am a male Caucasian, go to a state school, am a dual citizen (US/NZ, I have no idea if that makes a difference...), and am applying as a disadvantaged applicant economically since my family's income was well below the poverty line for my entire life.

Would I be at a disadvantage next cycle if I apply this cycle but don't get in?

Thank you!
There's no reason you can't get into a decent medical school this cycle if you submit ASAP. Your stats are incredible, your ECs are good (not great, but good enough for MD), you have dual citizenship, and are economically disadvantaged. Apply broadly (15+ schools) including some reaches, matches, and safeties; pre-write your secondaries; and revise your personal statement.

You're in great shape for this cycle and have no need whatsoever to wait another year, unless of course you truly want to take a gap year...

Thanks for the advice! I'm approved for FAP so I'll definitely apply to at least 14 schools. Do you know if there are any reach-type schools that would be more likely to look past my mediocre ECs for my good stats? WashU comes to mind...

Thanks for the advice! I'm approved for FAP so I'll definitely apply to at least 14 schools. Do you know if there are any reach-type schools that would be more likely to look past my mediocre ECs for my good stats? WashU comes to mind...
Most schools look for applicants with certain activities/qualities so pick up a copy of the MSAR if you haven't already and check out the mission statements of the schools you're interested in.

Also, if you've got FAP, apply to at least 20-25 schools. ;)