Apply now or wait till masters admission?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chrono

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, I'm waiting to here back from masters programs regarding admission for fall. I should hear back by mid july. Should I just submit AADSAS now and email the dental schools when I get in to a program or wait till I get accepted into a masters program and then put that as in progress in AADSAS and submit at that point?

Please advise - What's the best way to do things here?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It depends on what you are really aiming for. Should getting into dental school be a top priority then you should submit the application now. The longer you wait the less likely you have at interviews/acceptances. They aren't kidding when they say it can take up to 4 weeks to process and get it to the schools, and then some schools require supplemental applications as well. The sooner the better! Should you be accepted to the Masters program then you can bring that up during interviews/add it to the application during the academic update. Also, is this Masters program just a year? I know that some schools will not accept you if you are enrolled in a program and will not finish before matriculation. I assume this will only be a year otherwise you would not be applying to both. My masters took two years so I had to take a cycle off before applying and getting in. Just a word to the wise!

You apparently believe that your admission to an MS program will stop adcoms dead in their tracks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Obviously. But I would think the fact that you are continuing your education and beginning a Master's program would look better that someone who has nothing planned for a gap year.

Obviously. But I would think the fact that you are continuing your education and beginning a Master's program would look better that someone who has nothing planned for a gap year.

He/she could drop out of the program tomorrow.

bump for more input

Last edited:
He/she could drop out of the program tomorrow.

Doc is right. They may ask about it, but i doubt it would give you any advantage. They usually ask to see where else you've applied to as well just to see if you've even thought of the future.

I already know someone who dropped out of dental schools for medical reasons. Being accepted, doesn't really mean anything until you have the degree.

I think the only way they would care is if you walked out with an MS in hand.