Apply now or wait?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premd921

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
just wanted some input on what you think my chances are of being accepted now.

sci and cum gpa ~3.32 with strong upward trend (1st semester 1.3 up to 3.9 last semester)
MCAT 33 (11's)

250 clinical volunteer hours in ER working with triage nurse over 2 years
50 hours hospital volunteering
60 hours various non medical volunteering (tutoring and local soup kitchen)
40 hours shadowing primary care, long term care, and ER doc
member of biology club and chem club and pre med club
good letters of recommendation

current NY resident about to finish junior year

apply now? if so where?

If I'm not accepted I would apply end of my senior year and do post-bacc to stay full time and improve sci/cum gpa. Hopefully I would be accepted after senior year and not have to wait another year.

EDIT: bio 1 and 2, chem 2 and orgo 1 and 2 taken at community college... not sure if this effects anything... (BTW it was much harder then the two other large universities I've attended.)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
For more reasons than the GPAs, I think you should wait another year to apply.

The clinical experience looks good, though I feel you could use another 20-400 shadowing hours (opinions will vary). But you could use more nonmedical/noncampus community service. having some teaching to list is good. I see no research experience listed, and even a summer's worth would strengthen your application. The clubs don't help you much uness they get you some leadership experience. Either become an officer in one of them or find another way to display leadership. I'm sure you didn't mention is due to concerns for brevity, but on your application you'll also list hobbies, sports, and artistic endeavors, and hopefully there's something unique among these Experiences to help you stand out.

Do it right. Apply once. With another year of 3.9 GPA (well done, by the way) your GPA could rise to 3.46, which, with the MCAT score of 33 gives you a decent shot at an acceptance if you beef up the experiences.

Thanks for the quick response.

Just to clarify that's 40 hrs for each. 40 hours with primary, 40 hours with long term and 40 with ER. So total of 120hrs. Would more still be beneficial?

As far as leadership, I would have to wait until next school year to become an officer. But that would be fine assuming I'll be applying next year. I could certainly look into research opportunities this summer.

As far as hobbies and sports... there isn't much that stands out.
I played some tennis and basketball in high school, but nothing since.
I should get an interesting hobby to round out my application, you're right... any thoughts on what would be good, or just do something that would interest me?

I'm looking into also becoming an EMT this summer, not sure that counts...but would be good for more clinical experience.

Having 120 hours of shadowing is fine. No need for more.

High school activities don't count for much, unless it continues into the college years. A more unique activity might be one to choose. Some I've seen lately that stand out to me are fencing, cultural dance teams, medievel reinactment club, crocheting afghans for military, teaching old folks to use computers in a nursing home, interest in Bollywood movies, but I wouldn't know what's available at your school. Obviously, it needs to be something you think is interesting. You get double points if you start your own organization (leadership) and make it grow.

Yes, EMT provides clinical patient experience, but you have enough of that.