apply one year early, or apply at the normal date and get large scholarship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

americanpierg

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which would be better, going to dental school one year early, or going to dental school when you normally would and getting a large scholarship (ie %50+ tuition), lets hypothetically say you have a 3.95 and 25 DAT

Members don't see this ad.

How do you know you would be offered a scholarship?

if you are positively sure you will get the 50%+ scholarship, then i would take the scholarship. it's $100,000+ you're saving, which is definitely worth it IMO.

Members don't see this ad :)
INFNITE said:
if you are positively sure you will get the 50%+ scholarship, then i would take the scholarship. it's $100,000+ you're saving, which is definitely worth it IMO.
I assume you're talking about the huge one they offer at UPenn?

americanpierg said:
Which would be better, going to dental school one year early, or going to dental school when you normally would and getting a large scholarship (ie %50+ tuition), lets hypothetically say you have a 3.95 and 25 DAT

Awesome stats. How sure is it that you would land the scholarship? If its a sure bet I would apply at the normal time and take the money. Forget all that "graduating a year later means a year less of income in your peak producing years." Reduce your debt now, and your stress later. Wait a bit and enjoy the journey.

Worst case scenario would be to apply a year "late" and not get the fat scholarship you wanted.